Red cards and penalties as Colney Heath lose to Baldock Town in the SSML Premier Division Cup
- Credit: Archant
Colney Heath were knocked out of the Spartan South Midlands League Premier Division Cup after a 3-2 defeat at Baldock Town where both teams played the second-half a man short.
The flashpoint at the end of the first half saw Baldock’s Kim Forsythe and Colney’s Callum Dudrenec both shown red cards and occured moments after the hosts had been awarded a penalty.
A push by Dudrenec on Kieran Barnes saw the referee point to the spot and the melee that followed brought the dismissals.
After the fuss had died down Barnes slotted home from 12 yards.
That made it 2-1 to Baldock at the break and followed a Greg Shaw effort, bundled home after Baldock keeper Adam Harpur fumbled a Charlie Hunter free-kick, putting Heath ahead before Sean Brettell equalised.
You may also want to watch:
Baldock added a third on the hour mark, Barnes again the man on the spot with the penalty, given this time for a foul by Josh Humbert on Lewis Barker.
But Colney kept pressing and with 10 minutes to go they halved the gap with a shot from the edge of the area from Jack Woods dropping over Harpur’s head.
- 1 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 2 White Horse landlords ride off into sunset after 10 years
- 3 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 4 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 5 City centre road closures decision 'not a district issue'
- 6 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 7 Boy, 14, mugged in Harpenden park
- 8 Urgent care upgrade at St Albans City Hospital moves ahead
- 9 Driver disqualified after St Albans crash
- 10 Black History Month: 'I am connected to the world by a multitude of threads'
They had half chances to level with the best of them coming again from a Hunter free-kick that Woods prodded goalwards.
Unfortunately for him and the Magpies it was cleared off the line.