Red cards and penalties as Colney Heath lose to Baldock Town in the SSML Premier Division Cup
- Credit: Archant
Colney Heath were knocked out of the Spartan South Midlands League Premier Division Cup after a 3-2 defeat at Baldock Town where both teams played the second-half a man short.
The flashpoint at the end of the first half saw Baldock’s Kim Forsythe and Colney’s Callum Dudrenec both shown red cards and occured moments after the hosts had been awarded a penalty.
A push by Dudrenec on Kieran Barnes saw the referee point to the spot and the melee that followed brought the dismissals.
After the fuss had died down Barnes slotted home from 12 yards.
That made it 2-1 to Baldock at the break and followed a Greg Shaw effort, bundled home after Baldock keeper Adam Harpur fumbled a Charlie Hunter free-kick, putting Heath ahead before Sean Brettell equalised.
Baldock added a third on the hour mark, Barnes again the man on the spot with the penalty, given this time for a foul by Josh Humbert on Lewis Barker.
But Colney kept pressing and with 10 minutes to go they halved the gap with a shot from the edge of the area from Jack Woods dropping over Harpur’s head.
- 1 Former Harpenden primary school teacher jailed for 138 years
- 2 Man seen walking 'naked from waist down' in Harpenden
- 3 US star George Clooney spotted directing new film in Hertfordshire
- 4 Taxi stopped with ‘tyre below legal tread depth’ on A41
- 5 Elderly woman chased knife-wielding stranger from her bedroom
- 6 Armed police seize machete from Sandpit Lane in St Albans
- 7 Police probe into death of man in 20s at 'Kinky Towers' in Hertfordshire
- 8 St Albans skatepark inviting newcomers to join community
- 9 Return of Harpenden Carnival promises fun for all the family
- 10 Rapist jailed for 15 years after kidnapping teen in Hemel Hempstead
They had half chances to level with the best of them coming again from a Hunter free-kick that Woods prodded goalwards.
Unfortunately for him and the Magpies it was cleared off the line.