Stunning seven-goal show sends Colney Heath Ladies marching on in FA Cup
- Credit: Archant
Colney Heath Ladies began their road to Wembley with a fabulous seven-goal thumping of Hemel Hempstead Town.
The 7-0 success at home to the Tudors sees them progress to the first qualifying round and another home clash, this time against Houghton Athletic.
The Magpies had four new signings in the side but you wouldn’t have known it as they instantly gelled into a relaxed rhythm.
And it was one of the new faces, Rianne Townsend-Brown, who opened the scoring, getting in behind the Hemel backline and finding the bottom corner with aplomb.
The scorer produced a great run down the left and delivered a pinpoint cross onto the head of fellow new girl Sheree Oliver, but she could only look on as the ball bounced off the bar and was smothered by the Hemel goalkeeper.
You may also want to watch:
It was then Oliver’s turn to be a provider as she crossed for yet another summer signing Charlene Moreton.
However, once again the visiting keeper was equal to the effort.
- 1 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 2 Which St Albans nursery has been voted best in the East of England?
- 3 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 4 St Albans named among England's most expensive property hotspots
- 5 In pictures: First Comedy Garden is a complete laughfest
- 6 St Albans South Signal Box reopens to the public
- 7 In pictures: World's last 'truly wild' horse at Whipsnade Zoo
- 8 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 9 New campaign highlights Abbey Line hidden gems
- 10 National Trust set to open at the Abbey Theatre in St Albans
But the Magpies finally got a second five minutes before half-time.
A great through ball from Kelly Hancock gave Nicola Hollick a one on one and last year’s top scorer made no mistake, side-stepping the keeper and slotting the ball into the empty net.
Despite the lead, Colney knew they could improve and to their credit the second period saw them produce the goods.
Townsend-Brown made it 3-0 after rounding the ‘keeper just a minute after the break and the Magpies domination of possession was beginning to show as they moved the ball around with ease, often disorganising their opponents shape.
That was quickly exploited by Hancock who made it 4-0, delightfully curling the ball into the top corner from 20 yards.
Four became five in quick order as Hollick latched onto a pass following a great run from Hancock and Townsend-Brown made it a debut to remember when she completed her hat-trick for 6-0, calmly placing the ball into the bottom corner with her left foot.
The scoring was completed a few minutes before the end, Moreton also getting a debut goal after an excellent solo run and an equally cool finish.