Colney Heath start league season with victory against old rivals Tring Athletic
- Credit: Archant
Colney Heath have opened up the new season right where they finished off the last one – with three more points.
They were denied a likely title and promotion last year when the Spartan South Midlands League Premier Division was declared null and void but goals from Yasin Boodhoo and George Devine ensured the Magpies picked up a 2-0 win over Tring Athletic.
The visitors were sitting second behind Colney last year and had been their biggest rivals for the majority of the campaign but they were behind at the Recreation Ground after just seven minutes.
It was Harry Shepherd with the perfect delivery from a free0kick, finding Boodhoo at the near post who scored from a tight angle.
And the pressure kept coming for the remainder of the first period too.
You may also want to watch:
Will McClelland met a Shepherd corner with a powerful header but the ball skimmed the top of the crossbar and when the pair combined again later, goalkeeper David Saunders make a fine save.
Tring did have chances but Scott Bonner was wide with a header and Joe Naylor was denied by a fingertip save from Matt Evans.
- 1 How many people in St Albans were fined for breaking COVID rules?
- 2 Hitchin and Harpenden MP responds to questions over new £2,500 a month part-time role
- 3 Stamp duty holiday extension to be debated in Parliament
- 4 Why is there a 50mph speed limit on small section of A414?
- 5 Remembering one-of-a-kind local legend Lee Bozier
- 6 Row over new barriers blocking path for wheelchair users
- 7 Increase in electric car charging points thanks to new partnership
- 8 Row over charges for garden waste continues
- 9 Ambulance boss steps down after battling 'severe coronavirus'
- 10 14 St Albans things that are gone but not forgotten
But Colney always looked the more likely to score next and Devine went close just before the break, his lob though from 40 yards landed on the roof of the net.
Devine would not be denied though and only 58 minutes he finally got his goal.
Danny Fitzgerald hit a long ball down the left wing to set him away and after beating two defenders he cut in and sent Saunders the wrong way with a clever finish.
Both teams had chances as the game reached its conclusion. McClelland and Sean McMonagle both went close with headers while Harry Lewis and Dominic Knaggs both fired just the wrong side of the post.
Tring did finally beat Evans but Oliver Butler’s strike hit the far post and the rebound was cleared off the line by Jay Lovell.
Devine had another chance and substitute Bailey Stevenson also put shots in to no avail but it didn’t matter as Colney made a winning start.
Colney Heath: Evans, Knaggs, Jessop, McClelland, Lovell, Boodhoo, Griffin, Fitzgerald, McMonagle, Devine, Shepherd.
Substitutes: Stevenson, Lewis, Gleeson, Todd, Rahho.