Colney fail to overcome poor first half in Hoddesdon defeat

Action from London Colney's 2-0 loss to Hoddesdon Town. Picture: James Whittamore

Action from London Colney's 2-0 loss to Hoddesdon Town. Picture: James Whittamore - Credit: Archant

A poor first half display resigned London Colney to a 2-0 loss at Hoddesdon Town on Tuesday.

Two defensive lapses allowed Ike Nzuruba and Josh Smith to hand Hoddesdon a 2-0 advantage at the break, a lead that despite pressure from an improved Colney they held on to.

With the wind against them in the first period, the Blueboys seemed to gift Hoddesdon some early chances and Matt Tillbrook had to be alert in the first minute to clear an effort off the line after a mix up in the defence.

London Colney did create a couple of chances early on when first Jason Beck slipped the ball to Dan Millard who shot just wide of the near post and then Beck himself had a effort blocked.

On nine minutes Hoddesdon took the lead when again the Blueboys gave the ball away and Sean Stock played a neat back-heel to Nzuruba and he calmly slotted the ball past Jack Smith to make it 1-0.

The Blueboys tried to hit back and corner kick curled in by Dan Millard was met by Tom Smith but his header went over the bar.

Hoddesdon made it 2-0 when Jack Brandon played the ball to Smith and he headed the ball home at the far post with the Blueboys all over the place.

Most Read

As the first half closed, Spencer Clark-Mardel put over a good cross from the right and Millard’s effort was blocked by Jayden Purdue, who then had to make a smart save low down from a firm header by Greg Shaw.

At half time Tom Smith was replaced by Jimmy Hill to add a bit more firepower up front and from the first real Blueboys attack Millard swung over a cross-cum-shot which nearly sneaked in at the far post. Purdue just managed to push the ball away and it struck Russell Gallagher and went behind.

Beck then had a snap shot go wide and he then played a slick pass to Gallagher who instantly crossed the ball to the far side of the box to Millard whose goalbound effort was blocked on the line by Purdue.

Cain Davey then had a very good chance to pull a goal back when the ball dropped right at his feet on the edge of the six yard but he completely miss hit the ball with the goal at his mercy.

With all this happening at the Hoddesdon end, the Blueboys were caught napping and Mershack Williams forced Jack Smith into making a brilliant save by tipping his shot over the crossbar.

In the last few minutes of the match Millard again forced Purdue into making a save from his well struck free kick and so the Blueboys had to contend with a 2-0 defeat.