Colney bow out to Wantage Town
Claydon hat-trick sinks Blueboys
FA Vase First Qualifying Round
Wantage Town 4 London Colney 2
LONDON Colney fell at the first hurdle in the FA Vase after slipping to a 4-2 defeat away at Wantage Town in the first qualifying round.
The Blueboys gave a debut to goalkeeper John Armand and the stopper had to be alert in the early stages to thwart Tom Broad.
You may also want to watch:
Greg Shaw tried a hopeful long range lob that was easily taken by goalkeeper Gareth Tucker and he set up a counter attack that ended with Gavin Jones heading Broad’s cross just wide.
Broad was carrying the major threat for Wantage and Danny Butcher perfect timed a tackle to rescue the Blueboys after the striker had got in on goal.
- 1 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 2 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 3 National Hospitality Day: 'Per Tutti means everyone is welcome'
- 4 Help reunite toy milk jug with new owner
- 5 Harpenden Food and Drink Festival returns after six years
- 6 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 7 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 8 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 9 Area Guide: The quaint Hertfordshire village of Piccotts End
- 10 St Albans activist joins protest blocking M25
Twenty-eight minutes in the home side broke the deadlock. A Colney attack broke down and Wantage swept the ball forward for Graham Edney whose cross was converted by Richie Claydon.
Wantage doubled their lead from the penalty spot six minutes before the interval. Gavin Jones was tripped inside the box and up stepped Claydon to score his second goal of the contest.
David Parkinson gave the Blueboys a lifeline when he collected Frankie Jowle’s pass and drilled the ball past Tucker to make it 2-1 five minutes into the second half.
Parkinson could have levelled the scores for Colney when he turn and shot but his effort flashed past the post.
Colney’s hopes of getting something from the game were dealt a sever blow when Claydon completed his hat-trick. The striker picked the ball up and delivered a tremendous shot into the top corner which left Armand motionless.
Greg Shaw pulled a goal back soon afterwards when his free kick beat Tucker but Wantage made sure of their progression to the next round when Richie Guy crossed for Danny Keen to net a fourth.
London Colney: Armand; Hull, McCafferty (Parratt), Paradise, Murphy, Shaw, Jowle, Butcher (Dickie), Parkinson, Thompson, Gallagher. Sub not used: Townsend.