Collins is Colts' shootout hero

All the action from the latest round of the Herts Advertiser Sunday League

Herts Advertiser Knockout Cup semi-finals

GOALKEEPER Charlie Collins was Harpenden Colts Old Boys’ penalty shootout hero as Colts won 5-4 on penalties to clinch a place in the Herts. Advertiser Knockout Cup final on May 8 after the match finished 1-1 at the end of extra time.

A penalty by Tom Dyball gave Colts a first half lead before Phoenix got back on terms midway in the second half via their Man of the Match Trevor Steven. James Warner, Stuart Brown, James Whitehurst, Jason Ling and Tom Dyball were all on the mark with their penalties in the shoot out before Charlie Collins saved the last Phoenix penalty to put Colts through to their first ever KO Cup Final.

Queens Head Sandridge had to come from a goal down against Skew Bridge to move into the final with a 2-1 victory thanks to goals from Adam Parker and Mark Teasdale. Queens Head will be hoping to lift the Cup for the fifth time when playing Harpenden Colts.

Herts Advertiser Intermediate Cup semi-final

Marquis of Granby shocked their rivals Three Hammers, from two divisions above, by scoring after nine minutes when top scorer Adam Facer raced through to coolly slot past the helpless Ben Payne in the Hammers goal.

Most Read

It was not until just before half time that a good passing move saw Hammers equalise. Hammers surprisingly took the lead when a long run ended with the ball in the net and the match changed when Hammers were awarded a hotly disputed penalty to make it 3-1.

Then, with Marquis pushing to get back into the game, a mistake by Marquis’ stand-in goalkeeper allowed a fourth for Hammers with the last kick of the game.

After a close match that could have gone either way, the score line flattered Hammers whose goalscorers were Tom Herd, Greg Deacon, John Baines and Tom Clark. Robert Ash was Marquis’ outstanding player.

Herts Advertiser Junior Cup quarter-final

AFC Crown and Old Albanians Res. fought out a tremendous end-to-end game with Crown taking a two goal lead through James Watts and Mark Gallagher.

Albanians pulled a goal back before Mick Cattermole restored the two-goal advantage and a fine 3-1 score. It was another Man of the Match performance by Colin Cattermole for Crown.

Premier Division

Despite an outstanding performance from David Craggs Hogs Blacksmiths went down 3-0 against Nicholas Breakspear OBs.

David Parkinson was Breakspear’s Man of the Match, with goals from Richard Cooke, Joey Sinapi and Kane McLoughlin.

Division One

Six Bells completed the double over Old Albanians in a 2-0 result. But the scoreline should have been far greater than the two excellent goals scored by the Gentleman brothers.

Ray edged Bells ahead with a fine strike and a superb strike by Martin in the second half settled the points.

It was fitting that the Gentleman brothers scored as they are hanging up their boots this season along with veteran defender Neil Farmer.

Martin has been one of the most successful strikers in the Sunday League netting over 500 goals - no doubt opposing defenders will be glad to see the back of him! Geoff Rowland was Albanians’ outstanding player.

Division Two

In a battle of two of the title contenders, Beaver Travel overcame Footy Pants 3-2 in a very entertaining game.

Beaver pressed from the start and opened the scoring through Steve Quinn. They were then were reduced to 10 men when Ish Omer was red carded but this seemed to have little effect on Beaver’s game as they continued to play some excellent football which was well rewarded when Quinn went on to sore two more goals to completed his first hat-trick of the season.

Footy Pants hit back with two late goals through Lee Websdale and Kieran Fogden to give Beaver an anxious last 10 minutes.

Colney Heath Rangers recorded their first double of the season with a 1-0 win against Oaklands thanks to an Ian McCarthy goal.

Icarus gained revenge over Phoenix Res. with a 3-2 victory. A much changed Phoenix side saw goalkeeper Tony Digesaro playing up front and he celebrated this change of scenery with a goal. The other Phoenix goal came from Lian McDonald, his first for five years.

Division Three

Lifted Music continued their superb form of 2011 with a 3-0 win over Wheathampstead 89 at Folly Fields to remain top of Division Three with just two games remaining.

Aaron King got the home side off to the perfect start when he latched on to a Toby Ascroft flick on to lob home after just a few minutes. Lifted continued to dominate with chances for Ascroft, King and Callum Bloor but couldn’t find the back of the net and went in at half time just one goal up.

The pressure continued and eventually Lifted found a second when an inch perfect cross from Tommy Smith found Tom Middleditch at the back post who headed home for his third of the season.

Joe Inman and Lee Rowson controlled the play in the centre of midfield throughout the game but it was Man of the Match Inman who set up Keith Smith for a third to give Lifted their 14th league win of the season.

O’Neills Celtic put in one of the best performances of the season, defeating Bar 62 3-1, netting two goals in the last five minutes. Nick Dunn put in a great performance at the back, also Barry Devine scoring a 25 yard screamer with the last kick of the game. Other goals came from Eddie Chisenwa and Sam Galway.

Harry Hunt scored his third hat-trick of the season for Oaks in a 7-1 romp against Golden Lion. Tony Maher added a brace and singles came from Matt Fulcher and Scott Sherman. Steve Dorer was their Man of the Match. Christy Torrens replied for the Lion.

Vision Res completed the double over Nicholas Breakspear OB Res in a 3-1 score. Goals came from Liam Crouch, Nathan Young and Chakri Ramdani.

Division Four

Brookmans Park A team completed the double of table toppers Skew Bridge Res with a 4-3 win and it was only close as BPA had two late sending offs when they were 4-1 up.

Park lead 2-0 at half-time then 3-0 and 4-1 with goals from their star man Ryan Painter (three) and Ronnie Dunn, great performance. Skew’s goals came from Phil Lythgoe (two) and Lewis Piasecki.

Another excellent performance from St Albans Royals to come back after getting caught cold early on against Marshalswick Rovers, going a goal behind when Keygan Cyrus scored.

After that Royals took control and levelled through Greg Moloney heading home from a Royals corner.

Royals soon took the lead after a great move and Man of the Match Steve Brand smashing home to make it 2-1.

The game was soon over after Paul Adams grabbed his second goal in as many games reacting quickest and finishing from close range.

Following recent bad performances Sandridge Sports Harvesters were somewhat unlucky not to get anything from their 2-1 defeat by Insurance Store. Joe Wingfield scoring for Sports.

Division Five

Harpenden Colts Old Boys Reserves could barely field 11 players for this match and they struggled to find any form finally going down 2-0 as they were out battled by a Greenwood Park side who simply showed a greater desire to win with a last minute penalty sealing Colts fate. Ben Neale and Sam Lewis were outstanding for Colts.

Dukes continued their ‘not losing’ run with a 1-1 draw against St Albans IFC. Dukes dominated the first half with a goal from Antony Brown.

In the second half IFC had Dukes on the back foot for the first 15 minutes, hitting an upright and then a well taken equaliser by Spencer Mardel. Dukes rallied but failed to fine the winner. Ben Coote had an outstanding gale for IFC.

Cottonmill and Sandridge fought out a 1-1 draw. Lee Sturgess, back after a long lay-ff scored with a glancing header for Cottonmill and James Diricarabedian netted for Sandridge. Tim Couch was the pick of the Cottonmill side and Matt O’Toole Sandridge’s outstanding player.

Oaks Res. and Wheathampstead ‘89 Res. was another game to end in a 1-1 draw.

Rich Landry scored for Oaks with Ian Booth their outstanding player. Danny Spelman scored Wheathampstead.

Two goals from Lewis Kirkby and Tony Alveranga and Matt Alderman singles gave Phoenix A their 10th league victory in a 4-1 score.

Greenwood Park extended their unbeaten run to five games with a well deserved and hard fought 2-0 win over title contenders Harpenden Colts OB Res. It was a back to the wall opening 10 minutes as the Colts threatened.

Eventually Greenwood got into the stride with Matt Thorn, Dave Bayliss and Nick Fanshaw all going close but they broke the deadlock through Nick Fanshaw scored his 21st goal of the season, latching on to a cross from Dave Bayliss to fire home.

Colts added more pressure on the Greenwood defender Joe Barron top of his game they kept out the eager Colts forwards. With five minutes to go Greenwood’s ‘keeper Morgan Krogh pulled out a world class save to deny Harpenden a point.

From the resulting clearance Matt Thorn rounded the keeper only to be pulled down resulting in a penalty the Joe Oakins slotted home to make the final score 2-0 to Greenwood Park.

* Aiden Glennon, Golden Lion secretary, will be at University next season.

He is looking for someone to take over the manager/secretary roles.

If there is anyone who is withdrawing a team next season but wants to stay involved they can contact him on