Clubmark Accreditation for Special Olympics St Albans
- Credit: Archant
Special Olympics St Albans has been awarded the Sport England Clubmark Accreditation for its work to provide ‘life-changing’ sports activities to people with learning difficulties over the last 18 years.
SOSA provides year round sport training and competition, giving people with learning disabilities continuing opportunities to develop physical fitness, demonstrate courage, experience joy and participate in a sharing of skills, gifts and friendship with their families, other Special Olympics athletes and the community.
The award recognises the hard work and dedication of Susi Williams, SOSA’s coordinator and sports development officer, and the continual support of the athletes and their families. The accreditation shows that the club ensures the welfare of members and encourages everyone to enjoy sport and stay involved throughout their lives.
The Herts Sport Partnership presented Williams and SOSA members with the accreditation on Wednesday evening at one of their Boccia sessions at St Nicholas Breakspear School.
Williams said: “I have had the privilege working with the Special Olympics St Albans over the last 18 years where I have seen the positive effect the charity has had on so many local people who have a learning disability and on their families.
You may also want to watch:
“This accreditation allows us to show that the club is passionate about safeguarding its members and providing excellent opportunities for people with learning disabilities.”
If you would like to find out more about the Special Olympics St Albans activities, contact Susi Williams on Susie.Williams@1Life.co.uk.
- 1 Driver dies in London Colney crash
- 2 St Albans indies pick up six awards in regional competition
- 3 Woman arrested after wielding broken bottle in St Albans fight
- 4 Man 'tasered' outside Alban Arena after brawl, claim eyewitnesses
- 5 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 6 Record-breaking run for St Albans' Lizzie Bird in Olympic final
- 7 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 8 National Trust set to open at the Abbey Theatre in St Albans
- 9 St Albans MP reveals: 'Oaklands College has no intention of continuing to provide nursery services'
- 10 St Albans South Signal Box reopens to the public