CITYLIVE: Saints head to Eastleigh in high spirits
Eastleigh v St Albans City Saturday, March 6 – 3pm KO Season so far: It s been a topsy-turvy season so far for Eastleigh. The Spitfires currently occupy the last play-off following three straight victories but suffered a horrific 8-2 defeat to Thurrock i
Eastleigh v St Albans City
Saturday, March 6 - 3pm KO
Season so far: It's been a topsy-turvy season so far for Eastleigh. The Spitfires currently occupy the last play-off following three straight victories but suffered a horrific 8-2 defeat to Thurrock in their last home game.
Since then Ian Baird's side have shown good character to record wins on the road at Basingstoke (1-0), Staines (2-1) and Lewes (2-1).
Last meeting: Two penalties from Drew Roberts gave City all three points when the two sides met at a sun-kissed Clarence Park in August. Roberts' first penalty was converted on the stroke of half time only for Shaun McAuley to equalise for the visitors just after the hour mark. Aaron Martin's clumsy challenge on Gary Cohen presented Roberts with the opportunity to score another penalty and he duly obliged to give City the win.
Players: After enjoying an embarrassment of riches just a couple of weeks ago Steve Castle's City squad is beginning to get stretched. Midfield will be the City boss's main area of concern with Solomon Shields out for the season and James Quilter also on the sidelines, meaning youngster Rob Magwood is likely to continue alongside James Fisher.
- 1 Sainsbury's comes to St Albans station
- 2 Bowmans Cross development shelved as Hertsmere pulls Local Plan
- 3 Police hunt wanted man with connections to St Albans
- 4 Wholefoods shop relocates to offer wider range of produce
- 5 So why WAS police helicopter flying over St Albans last week?
- 6 Frustration and anger over St Albans school's change to hairstyle and uniform policy
- 7 Music line-up confirmed for Pub in the Park 2022 St Albans festival
- 8 Comment: Is Aldenham really posher than St Albans and Harpenden?
- 9 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 10 Who was the witch of St Albans?
Castle will also be hoping Adam Everitt's hernia won't keep the influential defender out of Saturday's game.
Striker Richard Gillespie is set to miss out for Eastleigh after straining his calf in the warm-up ahead of Wednesday night's win over Lewes but the Spitfires do have McAuley, Tony Taggart and Brett Poate all fit. Warren Goodhind is also available having returned from Spain.
Referee (subject to change): Anthony Coggins (Bicester, Oxfordshire) assisted by I Douglas and S Smith.
CITYLIVE coverage of Saturday's game will commence around 30 minutes prior to kick-off.