City wing their way to Welling

Plus details of CITYLIVE coverage

ST ALBANS City will look to build on the point they earned at Chelmsford City on Monday night when they travel to Park View Road to tackle Welling United on Saturday.

THE LOWDOWN: Had it not been for a five-point deduction for a breach of the league’s financial rules, Welling United would currently top Blue Square Bet South after an impressive start to the season.

The Wings have tasted defeat just twice in the league this season, going down to Kent rivals Bromley and most recently Weston-super-Mare.

Jamie Day’s side have a formidable home record this season winning every game at Park View Road bar their 0-0 draw with Hampton & Richmond on the opening day of the season. In that run United have conceded just five goals on home soil.

THE MANAGER: Rookie boss Jamie Day has taken to management well after taking over in November last year.

The former England youth international improved Welling’s fortunes drastically last season overseeing a rapid rise up the Conference South table and that form has carried into this campaign.

Most Read

PLAYER TO WATCH: Lee Clarke needs little introduction to St Albans City fans after a productive five years at Clarence Park in which he netted 79 goals in 196 games.

The former Northern Ireland U21 international left City in April 2009 when his contract was cancelled by mutual consent after the attacker failed to overcome a knee injury.

Clarke has maintained his goal scoring form at Welling despite being used predominantly as a midfielder bagging 18 goals in 40 appearances for the Kent side.

LAST TIME: City’s last visit to this corner of Kent saw them go down 3-2 after being reduced to nine men.

Michael Deane opened the scoring for the home side in the 12th minute before that man Clarke doubled the home side’s advantage six minutes later.

City’s chances of a comeback were dealt a hammer blow when Sol Shields was controversially shown a straight red card despite City being awarded the free kick.

Andy Sambrook extended Welling’s lead midway through the second half but Darren Quinton reduced the deficit with a cool finish from close range.

Any hopes City had of launching a comeback were pretty much extinguished when Paul Bastock was sent off for brining down Clarke but it was the Saints who got the final goal of the contest when Quinton converted a late penalty.

For those of you who are unable to make it to Clarence Park on Saturday, you can keep up with the action via our CITYLIVE service which will start at around 2.30pm