City win in Halloween horror show

St Albans City 2 (Godfrey Poku 35, Drew Roberts 37p) Weymouth 1 (David Obaze 30) James Ronayne at Clarence Park CITY got back to winning ways with a victory over ten-man Weymouth but they had to come from behind after the visitor s took a shock lead in

St Albans City 2 (Godfrey Poku 35, Drew Roberts 37p)

Weymouth 1 (David Obaze 30)

James Ronayne at Clarence Park

CITY got back to winning ways with a victory over ten-man Weymouth but they had to come from behind after the visitor's took a shock lead in what was a match that lacked any tricks or treats.

Weymouth captain Kyle Critchell was dismissed for a late challenge on Godfrey Poku but the Terras took the lead when David Obaze headed home from a free kick on the half hour mark.

City were behind for all of five minutes as Poku fired home his first goal for the club and Drew Roberts converted a penalty two minutes later to give City a double over their visitors.

Most Read

Boss Steve Castle recalled Poku, Justin Clayton and Drew Roberts in place of the injured Solomon Shields, Luke Thurlbourne who was dropped and Mark Peters who was relegated to the substitute's bench.

City started well but the last ball in the final third was lacking. David Galbraith released Gary Cohen down the left and the City striker did well to retrieve the ball in the corner. His cross was deflected clear by the Terras defence but only as far as Godfrey Poku 25 yards out. The City midfielder took a touch, steadied himself and unleashed a shot that went narrowly over the bar.

Weymouth worked a nice opportunity down the left with Jordan Rose and Critchell combining to open up space for Critchell 25 yards out but the Weymouth skipper fired high over Paul Bastock's bar.

Critchell's afternoon got worse when he was shown a straight red card for a late challenge on Poku.

Weymouth didn't let this disrupt them though and they took the lead when Obaze rose highest to head home Chris Allen's free kick.

A free kick at the other end wasn't cleared by Weymouth and the ball sat up nicely for James Fisher but his volley was fantastically tipped wide by Terras' stopper Ryan Harrison.

City drew level in the 35th minute with a great individual goal from Poku. A super cross from Drew Roberts was cleared by the Weymouth defence but Fisher picked up the ball and recycled it to Poku who ghosted past one man before nestling it in the bottom right hand corner from 20 yards with the aid of a small deflection from Jamie Frampton.

A minute later City were awarded a penalty when Frampton hacked down Fisher as he skipped into the penalty area. Up stepped Roberts who drove the ball into the bottom left hand corner of the net despite Harrison guessing the right way.

Castle shuffled his pack at the break bringing on Jonathon O'Donnell for Galbraith who was forced off with a calf injury.

A lively burst from Roberts down the left five minutes into the second period saw the former Histon man cut back inside and flash a shot across the face of goal.

City increased the pressure on their visitors and only a great last ditch tackle stopped O'Donnell from connecting with Alex Bailey's wonderfully flighted cross.

City came close to extending their lead when O'Donnell was given time and space to turn and fire a shot that just evaded the Weymouth crossbar.

A cross from Fisher was nearly diverted in by Cohen but Terras 'keeper Harrison did well to hold the cross. Cohen and Harrison collided with referee Matt Foley strangely deciding to book Cohen for his part.

Weymouth nearly found a route back into the game when Scott Brice's centre found Josh Llewellyn in the middle but the former Weston man blazed over the bar.

In the final minute of normal time Roberts took a free kick to Ryan Frater and although the City skipper kept his effort down it went wide of Harrison's post.

Soon afterwards referee Foley bought to an end a truly dire second half but it was an important win for City who'll look to keep it up when they travel to Basingstoke next Saturday.

St Albans City: Bastock; Quilter, Clayton, Frater, Everitt (Maxwell 67); Bailey, Fisher, Poku, Galbraith (O'Donnell 46); Roberts, Cohen.

Subs: Peters, James, Dedman.

Weymouth: Harrison; Frampton (Loader 86), Obaze, Critchell, Radcliffe; Allen, Brice, Rose (Metters 84), Dixon (Smith 75); Llewellyn, Reid.

Subs: Hutchinson, Byfield.

Referee: Matt Foley (Rotherhithe)

Att: 377

Man of the Match: Gary Cohen.