City win Herts Charity Cup
- Credit: Archant
ST ALBANS CITY are the new Herts Charity Cup champions.
City beat last year’s winners, Bishop’s Stortford, 3-2 on Thursday night at Clarence Park.
Chris Henry gave Saints a sixth minute lead before David Keenleyside doubled their advantage with a 25-yard free kick into the top corner. Stortford came back after the second goal but could not beat Tom Coulton in Saints goal.
The second period was a different story. The Blue Square North outfit upped their tempo, putting Saints under constant pressure and it wasn’t long before their first goal came. Reniel Sappleton was a menance for the entire second half and took his goal well, reacting to a parried shot to fire in from close range.
Sappleton netted his second 10 minutes later from the penalty spot after the referee, somewhat unfairly, judged Ryan Wharton to have handled the ball in the box.
You may also want to watch:
Stortford continue to press but vallant defending from City took the game into extra time.
Saints refound their footing in the game and started to create chances. And in the 99th minute Keenleyside put in an pin-point lofted through ball to Matt Taylor whose first time shot rolled past the goalkeeper into the net.
- 1 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 2 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 3 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 4 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
- 5 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 6 Harpenden retailers call on county to end town centre road closures
- 7 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 8 Freedom Day: More than half of Herts residents welcome delay to lockdown easing
- 9 It's showtime at Rothamsted with West End stars performing in 'Musicals at the Manor'
- 10 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
Tired legs began to get the better of the players as the ball was given away far too often. There was still time though for Coulton to produce the save of the match, catching Billy Lobjoit’s point blank header.