City start off 2014 with victory against Frome
- Credit: Archant
St Albans City took a giant leap towards the playoff places with a significant 4-0 victory over Frome Town at Clarence Park, courtesy of goals from Jamal Lowe, David Keenleyside, James Comley and John Frendo.
In a half of turgid, error-strewn football the Saints were rewarded for their early pressure as Howard Hall’s low cross was met by Lowe, who prodded past Frome Town goalkeeper Darren Chitty.
The second came five minutes after the restart, with Lowe at the heart of the action. His sublime, accurate pass to David Keenleyside helped make the goal, with Keenleyside himself looping the ball into the net with help from a deflection.
Just three minutes later the home side added a third, with James Comley striking the ball into the net after a through ball from top scorer John Frendo.
Frendo added a fourth by beating Chitty at the near post in the 68th minute to make it 24 goals in 33 appearances this campaign.
Frome’s Ben Wood hit the bar late on yet there was to be no consolation goal for the away side.
Prior to the opener, the scoring trio had threatened only to find Chitty and the Frome defenders in the way.
- 1 Sainsbury's comes to St Albans station
- 2 So why WAS police helicopter flying over St Albans last week?
- 3 Who was the witch of St Albans?
- 4 Frustration and anger over St Albans school's change to hairstyle and uniform policy
- 5 What is being done to tackle fly-tipping scourge?
- 6 Bowmans Cross development shelved as Hertsmere pulls Local Plan
- 7 Landowners advised to step up security following spike in fly-tipping across Hertfordshire
- 8 Wholefoods shop relocates to offer wider range of produce
- 9 Staying silent: the tight-lipped MP who refuses to answer controversial questions
- 10 Return of the Fred Hughes delights runners and organisers St Albans Striders alike
The visitors themselves tested City goalkeeper Paul Bastock, firstly through a thunderous effort from Aaron Ledgester and then a more tame strike from Wood.
City pressed for a second as the half wore on, with Keenleyside wasting the finest chance by shooting wide with the goal at his mercy after a precise pass from Comley.
A Frendo flick sailed wide of the post as the half drew to a close.
But the two goals in three second half minutes killed any Frome hopes of a comeback as the Saints stepped up a gear in the second half.
By the time Frendo finished the game had already been all but over.
Frome Town resorted to efforts from distance as they consigned themselves to yet another defeat in a difficult season.
Scorers Lowe, Keenleyside and Comley were substituted as City managers James Gray and Graham Golds reshuffled the pack with the three points already in the bag.
With Saint Albans’ game at Biggleswade in the week being cancelled it was a perfect way to start the new year.
By the time the two sides meet on the final day of the season, City will hope to still be in contention for a play off place and chance of promotion.
Only more scorelines like this will make that happen.