City sign Conference defender on one-month loan
- Credit: Archant
St Albans City have signed Tom Ward on a one-month loan from Conference North side Gainsborough Trinity.
City keeper Paul Bastock and Ward are former team-mates at Boston United and Saints’ shot-stopper was integral in bringing the 23-year-old to Clarence Park.
Ward partnered James Kaloczi at the heart of City’s defence in a 3-0 win on Wednesday night against Cambridge City and he drew rave reviews from joint manager James Gray following his first action in the City shirt.
“He did a great job and kept a clean sheet,” he said.
“I though he was superb tonight; hopefully he can continue his form.”
Ward could see plenty of playing time early on as Saints are thin at centre back with Ryan Wharton and Ben Martin still recovering injuries, although both are expected back within the next two weeks.
Ward’s next chance to impress will be this Saturday, away at St Neots, kick-off 3pm.
- 1 Seventies St Albans is backdrop to new novel about secret Nazi treasure
- 2 Extinction Rebellion protestors scale roof of Barclays in St Albans
- 3 Batchwood Golf Course to be redesigned after houses hit by balls
- 4 Local restaurants snap up accolades in Curry Awards
- 5 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 6 1,000 new homes planned next to village
- 7 St Albans haberdashery store celebrates 50 years
- 8 Yellow warning for snow and wind in Herts as Storm Arwen sweeps in
- 9 How Hertfordshire’s coronavirus figures compare to last year's lockdown
- 10 Future of Harpenden Public Halls site revealed