City set for trip to Stortford
Bishop s Stortford v St Albans City Saturday, August 29 – 3pm KO Where: Woodside Park, Dunmow Road, Bishop s Stortford, CM23 5GZ Who: City s county rivals Bishop s Stortford have had a mixed start to the campaign. Manager Mark Simpson undertook a major o
Bishop's Stortford v St Albans City
Saturday, August 29 - 3pm KO
Where: Woodside Park, Dunmow Road, Bishop's Stortford, CM23 5GZ
Who: City's county rivals Bishop's Stortford have had a mixed start to the campaign. Manager Mark Simpson undertook a major overhaul of the playing squad at Woodside Park during the summer making a number of eye-catching signings including Charlie Sheringham, Ashley Nicholls and Louis Riddle.
Season so far: Stortford have only won one game so far this season, a 6-2 trouncing of Weymouth at the Wessex Stadium, thanks to a five-goal salvo from Sheringham.
Newport County (0-0) and Staines Town (2-2) have both come away from Woodside Park with a point while the club's two other away ties have resulted in defeat at Dover (2-0) and Woking (1-0).
- 1 Recap: Rail delays through St Albans and Harpenden after train hits branch
- 2 Fire crews receive 'multiple' 999 calls amid large blaze at Welham Green
- 3 Jubilee garden opened at Harpenden primary school
- 4 Goods worth more than £260 in total stolen from St Albans Co-op store
- 5 Clarence Park deckchairs banned following council concerns
- 6 St Albans garden centre dedicates fundraising year to Brain Tumour Research
- 7 Teenager ‘robbed at knife-point' by two males in Hemel Hempstead
- 8 School's generous donation to foodbank
- 9 Breakaway Theatre Company returns with an enjoyable day at the races in Ladies' Day
- 10 Katherine Ryan and Romesh Ranganathan spotted filming in St Albans
Last season: Paul Hakim rescued a point for City when they travelled to Woodside Park in February. The City striker capitalised on a mistake from goalkeeper Nicky Eyre to draw Saints level after Lewis Smith had given Stortford the lead in the first half.
Players: There are plenty of City connections in the Stortford squad with no fewer than three players having appeared for the Saints. Goalkeeper Nicky Eyre spent a season with City in 2007-08 before leaving the club after losing his place to Paul Bastock.
Ben Bowditch made 14 appearances for the Saints before he was released in October of last year. Right back Matt Jones has been an ever present for Stortford this season and is in his fifth year with the club after switching from Clarence Park in 2004.
Sheringham is the club's leading scorer so far this season with five goals to his name all scored in the one game.
For City, Adam Everitt is still suspended while Luke Thurlbourne will be looking to get back into the side after being dropped for the 1-1 draw with Lewes last Saturday.
Referee: Tony Mason (Kent) assisted by S Finnigan and G D Ions.