City set for trip to Stortford
Bishop s Stortford v St Albans City Saturday, August 29 – 3pm KO Where: Woodside Park, Dunmow Road, Bishop s Stortford, CM23 5GZ Who: City s county rivals Bishop s Stortford have had a mixed start to the campaign. Manager Mark Simpson undertook a major o
Bishop's Stortford v St Albans City
Saturday, August 29 - 3pm KO
Where: Woodside Park, Dunmow Road, Bishop's Stortford, CM23 5GZ
Who: City's county rivals Bishop's Stortford have had a mixed start to the campaign. Manager Mark Simpson undertook a major overhaul of the playing squad at Woodside Park during the summer making a number of eye-catching signings including Charlie Sheringham, Ashley Nicholls and Louis Riddle.
You may also want to watch:
Season so far: Stortford have only won one game so far this season, a 6-2 trouncing of Weymouth at the Wessex Stadium, thanks to a five-goal salvo from Sheringham.
Newport County (0-0) and Staines Town (2-2) have both come away from Woodside Park with a point while the club's two other away ties have resulted in defeat at Dover (2-0) and Woking (1-0).
- 1 City centre pub opens new roof garden
- 2 Driver disqualified after St Albans crash
- 3 Urgent care upgrade at St Albans City Hospital moves ahead
- 4 Staff member assaulted at St Albans City FC match
- 5 Harpenden card cloning suspects arrested
- 6 From the terraces to the pitch - Huw Dawson ecstatic to reach FA Cup first round with St Albans City
- 7 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 8 Property Spotlight: A detached home on one of St Albans' most desirable streets
- 9 Harpenden couple donate vital equipment for maternity ward
- 10 6 of the best places to hot tub in and around Hertfordshire
Last season: Paul Hakim rescued a point for City when they travelled to Woodside Park in February. The City striker capitalised on a mistake from goalkeeper Nicky Eyre to draw Saints level after Lewis Smith had given Stortford the lead in the first half.
Players: There are plenty of City connections in the Stortford squad with no fewer than three players having appeared for the Saints. Goalkeeper Nicky Eyre spent a season with City in 2007-08 before leaving the club after losing his place to Paul Bastock.
Ben Bowditch made 14 appearances for the Saints before he was released in October of last year. Right back Matt Jones has been an ever present for Stortford this season and is in his fifth year with the club after switching from Clarence Park in 2004.
Sheringham is the club's leading scorer so far this season with five goals to his name all scored in the one game.
For City, Adam Everitt is still suspended while Luke Thurlbourne will be looking to get back into the side after being dropped for the 1-1 draw with Lewes last Saturday.
Referee: Tony Mason (Kent) assisted by S Finnigan and G D Ions.