City of St Albans finish on a high
CITY of St Albans Junior Squad Swimmers finished the Hertfordshire Peanuts league by winning their final gala and retaining their Division One status. Stephanie Banks, aged 12, got the squad off to a great start, winning the 50m backstroke, quickly follo
CITY of St Albans Junior Squad Swimmers finished the Hertfordshire Peanuts league by winning their final gala and retaining their Division One status.
Stephanie Banks, aged 12, got the squad off to a great start, winning the 50m backstroke, quickly followed by Anne Marie DuPreez, aged 12, winning the 50m breaststroke. Lauren Winfield, Jenny Woods and Kristina Smith each put in great swims to take bronze position in their heats. Robbie Lightowler, aged 11, led the way for the boys with gold in both the butterfly and freestyle. Alex Astley, aged 12, achieved two bronze finishes and there were third-place finishes for Luke Bevis, Michael Roche, Jordan Irvine and Samuel Henson.
The relay teams made the difference to win the gala. The aged nine boys squad of Joseph Bates, Joseph Hensman, Luke Foster and Oliver Astley won both their medley and freestyle relays. Winning the squadron relay clinched victory for the Blue Squad to finish five points ahead of Watford.
The Gold Squad finished their Peanuts campaign with a fourth-place finish in Division Three with many fine displays. Rufus McAlister, Kitty McAlister, Peter Hensman and William Henshall picked up gold in their heats, and Sydney Brass, aged 10, achieved one gold and four new best times.
You may also want to watch:
CoStA train six nights a week to a programme set by South African Olympic Coach Wayne Riddin. To join the club visit Westminster Lodge on Monday nights.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 Former Coventry City junior Joe Newton has eyes on a return to the professional game
- 4 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 5 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 6 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 7 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 8 Nightmare return for Joe Newton as own-goal gives St Albans City victory over Havant
- 9 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 10 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development