City look for Trophy respite
Plus details of CITYLIVE coverage
ST ALBANS City will be looking to give their fans something to cheer about when Staines Town visit Clarence Park in the FA Trophy on Saturday.
The Saints slipped into the relegation zone last Saturday after a 3-1 defeat to Lewes and will be hoping to use the break from league action to regain some confidence.
THE LOWDOWN: After an eighth placed finish last season, Staines have struggled this season and currently find themselves in 15th spot with 17 points.
Midfielder Gareth Risbridger, striker Ali Chaaban and defender Michael Kamara have all recently left the Swans as they look to reshape their squad and their fortunes with all three linking up with City’s arch rivals Boreham Wood.
Earlier this season Staines suffered an embarrassing FA Cup exit at the hands of Kent Premier League side Hythe Town and the Swans last game saw them lose 2-1 to Thurrock giving the Essex side their first win of the season.
THE MANAGER: Steve Cordrey has been boss at Staines since 2003 leading them to back-to-back Ryman Premier Division runners-up sports and also promotion to the Blue Square South in 2009.
- 1 Recap: Rail delays through St Albans and Harpenden after train hits branch
- 2 Fire crews receive 'multiple' 999 calls amid large blaze at Welham Green
- 3 Goods worth more than £260 in total stolen from St Albans Co-op store
- 4 Clarence Park deckchairs banned following council concerns
- 5 Teenager ‘robbed at knife-point' by two males in Hemel Hempstead
- 6 Katherine Ryan and Romesh Ranganathan spotted filming in St Albans
- 7 Church welcomes gay community event as part of St Albans Pub Pride
- 8 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 9 New play areas open at Harpenden parks
- 10 St Albans garden centre dedicates fundraising year to Brain Tumour Research
PLAYER TO WATCH: Tricky winger Andre Scarlett has been weighing in with the goals this season netting five goals so far. The former Luton Town and Stevenage man has been at Wheatsheaf Park since December 2005 and has also deputised as captain when needed.
LAST TIME: Staines Town recovered from two goals down to earn a share of the spoils when City visited Wheatsheaf Park back in August.
The Saints had been 2-0 up at half-time after turning in one of their best 45 minutes of the season only to see the home side hit back and draw level after the break.
TEAM NEWS: The Saints had hoped to add a striker to their ranks ahead of Saturday’s game but have so far been unable to secure their targets.
Solomon Shields continued his comeback from injury with 65 minutes as the reserves beat Leverstock Green 3-2 but a return to the first team is likely to be some time away.
Saturday is also scheduled to be the last game of midfielder Harry Beautyman’s loan spell from Leyton Orient.
For those of you who are unable to make it to Clarence Park, you can keep up with the action via our CITYLIVE service which will start at around 2.30pm.