City look for Trophy respite
Plus details of CITYLIVE coverage
ST ALBANS City will be looking to give their fans something to cheer about when Staines Town visit Clarence Park in the FA Trophy on Saturday.
The Saints slipped into the relegation zone last Saturday after a 3-1 defeat to Lewes and will be hoping to use the break from league action to regain some confidence.
THE LOWDOWN: After an eighth placed finish last season, Staines have struggled this season and currently find themselves in 15th spot with 17 points.
Midfielder Gareth Risbridger, striker Ali Chaaban and defender Michael Kamara have all recently left the Swans as they look to reshape their squad and their fortunes with all three linking up with City’s arch rivals Boreham Wood.
You may also want to watch:
Earlier this season Staines suffered an embarrassing FA Cup exit at the hands of Kent Premier League side Hythe Town and the Swans last game saw them lose 2-1 to Thurrock giving the Essex side their first win of the season.
THE MANAGER: Steve Cordrey has been boss at Staines since 2003 leading them to back-to-back Ryman Premier Division runners-up sports and also promotion to the Blue Square South in 2009.
- 1 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 2 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre
- 3 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 4 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 5 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire
- 6 Thunderstorms and possible flooding forecast for St Albans and Welwyn Hatfield area
- 7 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 8 7 top tourist attractions to visit in Hertfordshire during the summer holidays
- 9 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 10 St Albans County Lines crackdown continues with more arrests
PLAYER TO WATCH: Tricky winger Andre Scarlett has been weighing in with the goals this season netting five goals so far. The former Luton Town and Stevenage man has been at Wheatsheaf Park since December 2005 and has also deputised as captain when needed.
LAST TIME: Staines Town recovered from two goals down to earn a share of the spoils when City visited Wheatsheaf Park back in August.
The Saints had been 2-0 up at half-time after turning in one of their best 45 minutes of the season only to see the home side hit back and draw level after the break.
TEAM NEWS: The Saints had hoped to add a striker to their ranks ahead of Saturday’s game but have so far been unable to secure their targets.
Solomon Shields continued his comeback from injury with 65 minutes as the reserves beat Leverstock Green 3-2 but a return to the first team is likely to be some time away.
Saturday is also scheduled to be the last game of midfielder Harry Beautyman’s loan spell from Leyton Orient.
For those of you who are unable to make it to Clarence Park, you can keep up with the action via our CITYLIVE service which will start at around 2.30pm.