City legend heads home
Paul Bastock returns to Boston United
ST ALBANS City legend Paul Bastock has ended his time at the club and rejoined hometown side Boston United.
The 40-year-old goalkeeper made 260 appearances for City and collected two Player of the Year awards, the second after just 11 games during the 2007/08 season in which he was instrumental in the club’s escape from relegation.
The experienced goalkeeper has turned in a number of memorable performances between the sticks for the Saints none more so than his display at Dartford in 2008 when he single handedly kept the Darts at bay during an FA Trophy replay.
Speaking to the club’s website about his departure Bastock said: “I have loved every minute of my time with St Albans City, I even loved the hard times.
“I have made a lot of good friends through the club and I hope we will stay in touch. It was not an easy decision and I discussed it with Steve Castle and Mark Peters before making my mind up.
“Obviously he is not around anymore but I want to thank Colin Lippiatt for bringing me to the club and thank Steve for calling me back after my time at Rushden. I also want to say a few words of thanks to the supporters who have been terrific to me throughout my time here and I will always treasure the two Player of the Year awards you gave me. I hope the club can get through its current difficulties quickly, it is a smashing club and I will miss it very much.”
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 2 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 3 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 4 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 5 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 6 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 7 St Albans hockey player still going strong at 80
- 8 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
- 9 Caretakers of creation: church's work protecting environment
- 10 Author's new book explores mental health during the pandemic