City Ladies into League Cup final four
- Credit: Archant
St Albans City ladies reached their third consecutive League Cup semi-final with a 3-1 win over local rivals Harvesters.
City controlled the game from the first whistle and scored early when a long throw from Kelly Hancock found her sister Lucy, who fired into the top corner.
The Saints continued to press Harvesters back but didn’t have it all their own way as the visitors hit on the counter attack to earn a corner. City were caught ball watching as Harvesters took it quick and headed home to draw level.
St Albans continued to knock on the door to take back the lead but with some good defending and City missing some glaring chances the score stayed level at half time.
The second half substitutes made an immediate impact as Molly Slade slotted through to Georga Knight who coolly passed the ball past the out-rushing keeper.
You may also want to watch:
Harvesters tried hard to get back in the game but City broke their spirit by Kelly Hancock attacking a ball in the Harvesters penalty box only to be fouled and to be awarded a penalty. Captain Lucy Hancock stepped up and calmly passed into the bottom right corner.
From then on St. Albans controlled the pace and guided themselves into the last four of the cup.
- 1 Affordable housing block given green light for garage site
- 2 St Albans Feastival proves highlight of food and drink celebration
- 3 St Albans Fireworks Spectacular returns to Verulamium Park for 2021 display
- 4 Lib Dems: City centre road closures are blighting neighbourhoods
- 5 Police refuse to prosecute over Smallford Pits destruction
- 6 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 7 Drivers seriously injured after crash at Wheathampstead junction
- 8 'It could have been fatal' - Tractor trailer overturns at London Colney
- 9 St Albans MP Daisy Cooper condemns government for fuel crisis
- 10 Property Spotlight: An Edwardian detached family home in central St Albans
Squad: Sasha Tucker, Emma Tammaro, Grace Campion, Megan Kiff, Rachel Sherlow, Sophie Green, Sammy May, Kelly Hancock, Lucy Hancock (C), Amber Charlton, Sophie Joseph, Molly Slade, Georga Knight, Holly Sheridan, Vikki Allen