City bag 14 goals in two pre-season friendlies
- Credit: Archant
ST ALBANS CITY are not finding goals hard to come by after putting six past Leverstock Green and adding eight more against a youthful MK Dons XI.
Using a team that didn’t feature against Barnet, Saints beat their SSML Premier Division neighbours 6-3 last Thursday with David Keenleyside leading the line with a hat-trick. Elliot Bailey, Chris O’Leary and Dan Green scored the other goals.
City followed up the performance by notching eight more goals against an MK Dons XI which featured the League One side’s 15 and 16-year-old academy players on Saturday.
Ex-Hitchin Town striker John Frendo opened his City account with two first-half goals before James Kaloczi, Bailey, Ryan Ashe, Keenleyside (two) and Gareth Price completed the rout.
Joint manager Graham Golds was delighted to see Frendo score his first goals for the club, albeit against a young MK Dons side.
You may also want to watch:
“Frendo took his goals outstandingly and his work rate off the ball was brilliant. He will be a great addition for us this year,” he said.
“MK Dons fielded quite a young side but technically they were very good. They kept the ball well and did well to go into the half 2-1 down.
- 1 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 2 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 3 White Horse landlords ride off into sunset after 10 years
- 4 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 5 City centre road closures decision 'not a district issue'
- 6 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 7 Boy, 14, mugged in Harpenden park
- 8 Driver disqualified after St Albans crash
- 9 Urgent care upgrade at St Albans City Hospital moves ahead
- 10 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
“We changed quite a lot in the second half and we were really pleased with how the players performed; they dictated possession and played the ball around nicely.
“It was a good work out for the lads’ fitness – we have worked hard in training but nothing like match practice.”
Golds added that last Thursday’s game against Leverstock Green allowed him and James Gray to see the club’s trialists in action as they prepare the trim the side.
“We currently have 30 players and we want to trim it to 18-20 within the next couple of weeks.”