Chrysanthou’s late strike downs Blueboys
- Credit: Archant
A stunning 85th minute strike from Hadley’s Nick Chrysanthou finally ended London Colney’s resistance in a 2-1 loss on Saturday.
The Blueboys had fought back from a goal down through Greg Shaw and looked to have earned a share of the points until Chrysanthou smashed the ball into the net, giving Jack Smith no chance.
An under strength London Colney nearly took the lead in the first few minutes when Jack Woods slipped the ball Cain Davey whose firm low drive was blocked by Charlie Mann’s at the near post. The goalkeeper then saved from Tom Smith while his opposite number was called into action to deny Shay Khosrowshahi.
On 30 minutes Hadley took the lead when Khosrowshahi’s mazey run into the box ended with a low shot past Smith. The Blueboys almost hit back when a throw in from Woods saw Davey played the ball into the path of Shaw but his fierce strike was tipped over the crossbar by Mann.
At the start of the second period Shaw had a header tipped around the post and minutes later he missed the target from close-range. He persistence paid off in the 63rd minute when Davey set him up for a powerful finish past Mann.
You may also want to watch:
The Blueboys piled forward in an effort to force a winner but, with the game seemingly headed for a 1-1 draw, Chrysanthou cracked the winner.
- 1 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 2 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 3 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 4 St Albans house prices hit record high
- 5 Property Spotlight: A family home in Harpenden's sought after East Common
- 6 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 7 School buzzing about new Forest School and Hive building
- 8 Olympic legend Denise Lewis unveils inspirational mural in St Albans
- 9 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 10 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden