Chrysanthou’s late strike downs Blueboys
- Credit: Archant
A stunning 85th minute strike from Hadley’s Nick Chrysanthou finally ended London Colney’s resistance in a 2-1 loss on Saturday.
The Blueboys had fought back from a goal down through Greg Shaw and looked to have earned a share of the points until Chrysanthou smashed the ball into the net, giving Jack Smith no chance.
An under strength London Colney nearly took the lead in the first few minutes when Jack Woods slipped the ball Cain Davey whose firm low drive was blocked by Charlie Mann’s at the near post. The goalkeeper then saved from Tom Smith while his opposite number was called into action to deny Shay Khosrowshahi.
On 30 minutes Hadley took the lead when Khosrowshahi’s mazey run into the box ended with a low shot past Smith. The Blueboys almost hit back when a throw in from Woods saw Davey played the ball into the path of Shaw but his fierce strike was tipped over the crossbar by Mann.
At the start of the second period Shaw had a header tipped around the post and minutes later he missed the target from close-range. He persistence paid off in the 63rd minute when Davey set him up for a powerful finish past Mann.
The Blueboys piled forward in an effort to force a winner but, with the game seemingly headed for a 1-1 draw, Chrysanthou cracked the winner.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 2 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 3 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 4 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 5 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 6 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 7 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
- 8 St Albans hockey player still going strong at 80
- 9 Caretakers of creation: church's work protecting environment
- 10 Area Guide: The busy Hertfordshire town of Hemel Hempstead