Christmas fixtures affect non-league players more than Premier League says Wheeler
- Credit: Archant
St Albans City caretaker manager Harry Wheeler is hoping his side can cope with the rigours of two games in two days.
City make the short journey to Bishop’s Stortford on Boxing Day before returning to Clarence Park for the visit of Chelmsford City on Bank Holiday Monday.
And Wheeler thinks that scenario is more of a problem in the lower leagues than in the professional ranks where there are constant calls for a winter break.
He said: “I would say it affects them more. They are not conditioned to play two games in two days, they all work and they are not used to it.
“You don’t often see the pros play two in two. They’ll play Thursday and then Sunday for example.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s going to be tough but hopefully we will learn from last season. If I remember we didn’t have a big squad then and they were tired and struggling a little bit.
“This year though we have got a strong squad. But I look at last week when we trained two days after the Maidenhead game and they were still tired from that.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 4 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 5 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 6 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 7 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 8 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 9 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 10 Anti-vaxers condemned for intimidating behaviour and dangerous posters
“So if you’re tired at training two days after a game, you’re going to be tired playing another match.”
The club, however, are hoping the holidays help swell the support for both the Chelmsford game and the return match with Stortford on January 2.
Kick-off in both games is at 3pm.