Chillingworth nets as Saints settle for draw

St Albans City 1 (Daniel Chillingworth 15) Havant & Waterlooville 1 (Manny Williams 75) James Ronayne at Clarence Park DANIEL Chillingworth scored his first goal for the club as St Albans ended their four-game losing run with a 1-1 draw at home to Havan

St Albans City 1 (Daniel Chillingworth 15)

Havant & Waterlooville 1 (Manny Williams 75)

James Ronayne at Clarence Park

DANIEL Chillingworth scored his first goal for the club as St Albans ended their four-game losing run with a 1-1 draw at home to Havant.

The former Cambridge man rose highest to head home David Galbraith's corner after a quarter of an hour but a defensive lapse 15 minutes from time saw Manny Williams earn the Hawks a point.

Drew Roberts had City's first two efforts, the first being held by Aaron Howe and the other drifting wide of the goalkeeper's left-hand post.

Most Read

Mustafa Tiryaki and Adam Everitt clashed on the left hand side but referee Elliott Kaye allowed the game to continue, with Steven Walker skewing his shot wide.

Chillingworth was giving City a different option up front, and the striker rewarded Castle's faith in him with the opening goal on 15 minutes.

So often this season City's set pieces have been poor, but the arrival of David Galbraith has helped rectify this and that was the case as Chillingworth rose unchallenged at the near post to head home Galbraith's corner.

City were given a warning in the 27th minute, when Williams, the league's leading scorer with 10 goals to his name already, came within a whisker of adding an 11th. The former Maidenhead striker twisted Mark Peters in and out before lifting an effort over Bastock only to see it come back off the bar.

A long ball out by Ryan Frater was well won in the air by Chillingworth who found Roberts and his low shot was held by Howe at the second attempt.

Suicidal defending from Galbraith nearly cost Castle's side dear as Williams dispossessed the City winger and fired the ball across the face of Bastock's goal.

Steve Castle's men had 45 minutes to hold on for a welcome win but they had the woodwork to thank for a second time with just nine second half minutes on the clock.

The midfield gave Havant too much space and, when Tiryaki found space around 20 yards from the City goal, he fired in a shot that beat Bastock but was again denied by the bar before being cleared by James Quilter.

Tiryaki was looking a shadow of the player he was when he visited the Park with Maidenhead, but on occasions he showed glimpses of the class that have caught the eye of Football League clubs.

A long goal kick from Howe was headed out by the City defence as far as Tiryaki and the striker, 35 yards from goal, lashed in a shot that wasn't too far from testing Bastock.

At the other end a poor corner from Galbraith was only cleared as far as Luke Thurlbourne but the City midfielder's effort was always rising and didn't trouble Howe.

Havant drew level on 75 minutes when City failed to clear their lines and Manny Williams advanced unchallenged to fire low past Bastock.

City should have regained the lead immediately. Jamie Thurlbourne's cross was knocked down by Chillingworth to Roberts, but City's leading scorer blazed over the bar from seven yards out.

Havant came close to snatching a winner five minutes from time when Walker's free kick wasn't cleared by Fisher and Jay Gasson fired over the bar.

Havant hit the bar for a third time when Wes Fogden danced around the challenge of James Quilter and let fly with a right-footed shot that skimmed the top of Bastock's bar.

Havant upped the tempo and City were doing well to repel their attacks. A rare City counter saw Jamie Thurlbourne get down the left but his cross was cut out by Gasson with Chillingworth poised.

At the other end Williams laid the ball off to Walker who curled a beautiful low shot that look destined for Bastock's bottom corner, only for the ball to drift wide at the last minute.

As it was both sides had to settle for a point, ending a run of four straight defeats for Castle's men.

St Albans City (4-4-2): Bastock; Quilter, Peters, Frater, Everitt; Roberts (Mortimer 86), L Thurlbourne, Fisher, Galbraith (J Thurlbourne 74); Cohen (Calver 74), Chillingworth.

Subs: O'Donnell, Bailey.

Havant (4-4-2): Howe; Newton, Woodford, MacDonald, Gasson; Walker, Simpemba, Wilkinson (Nightingale 69), Fogden; Williams, Tiryaki (Hutchings 74).

Subs: Martin, Pearce, Ashmore.

Referee: Eliott Kaye (Hainault)

Man of the Match: Daniel Chillingworth.

Attendance: 329

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter