Charlie number one
GOLF by Alan Booth: CHARLIE DOUGLASS has won the English Women s Golf Association s Order of Merit and is England s number one player of the year - and she is to stay in the amateur ranks for another year. Charlie, 20, from Brocket Hall, won the English L
GOLF by Alan Booth: CHARLIE DOUGLASS has won the English Women's Golf Association's Order of Merit and is England's number one player of the year - and she is to stay in the amateur ranks for another year.
Charlie, 20, from Brocket Hall, won the English Ladies Championship in May - the first Herts player to claim the title - and later announced her intention to turn professional at the end of the season.
Recently the Ladies Golf Union named her in a squad of 20 players from whom the Great Britain and Ireland team for the Curtis Cup match in America next June will be chosen, and she has now decided to continue her amateur career for at least another year to try to win a place in the team, rather than turn professional.
Of her golfing season she says: "I have loved it - and I have absolutely loved the team side of it. I don't think I have ever had such fun in my life, and it has just been fantastic."
You may also want to watch:
Charlie has headed the EWGA order of merit for most of the season, having briefly been overtaken by fellow international Rachel Jennings, but took the title by the margin of five points.
- 1 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 2 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 3 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 4 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 5 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 6 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 7 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 8 Anti-vaxers condemned for intimidating behaviour and dangerous posters
- 9 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 10 Carillon Chamber Choir's farewell concert in St Albans