Charlie number one
GOLF by Alan Booth: CHARLIE DOUGLASS has won the English Women s Golf Association s Order of Merit and is England s number one player of the year - and she is to stay in the amateur ranks for another year. Charlie, 20, from Brocket Hall, won the English L
GOLF by Alan Booth: CHARLIE DOUGLASS has won the English Women's Golf Association's Order of Merit and is England's number one player of the year - and she is to stay in the amateur ranks for another year.
Charlie, 20, from Brocket Hall, won the English Ladies Championship in May - the first Herts player to claim the title - and later announced her intention to turn professional at the end of the season.
Recently the Ladies Golf Union named her in a squad of 20 players from whom the Great Britain and Ireland team for the Curtis Cup match in America next June will be chosen, and she has now decided to continue her amateur career for at least another year to try to win a place in the team, rather than turn professional.
Of her golfing season she says: "I have loved it - and I have absolutely loved the team side of it. I don't think I have ever had such fun in my life, and it has just been fantastic."
You may also want to watch:
Charlie has headed the EWGA order of merit for most of the season, having briefly been overtaken by fellow international Rachel Jennings, but took the title by the margin of five points.
- 1 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 2 All you need to know about St Albans Cathedral's Alban Pilgrimage this year
- 3 June 21: Will Step 4 lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 4 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 5 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 6 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 7 Harpenden constituency to go under proposed boundary changes
- 8 Take a trip to the seaside for fun adaptation of The Comedy of Errors at the Roman Theatre festival
- 9 George Street traders call for permanent pedestrianisation as street closure debate continues
- 10 Quarantine hotel set up in St Albans