Charity the winner as annual rugby game brings out the cream of the district’s players
- Credit: Archant
An annual charity rugby game proved its usual annual success with the usual fun on the pitch too.
Hosts Verulamians took on a rest of the world side, with players from across St Albans coming together to raise money for Youth Talk, a counselling service for young people in the district.
In total £410 was raised, making the efforts from the two teams, littered with familiar faces to those with knowledge of the city's grassroots rugby scene, all the more worthwhile.
St Albans Rugby Club's Mick O'Shea said: "What a great day. An extravaganza of champagne rugby with barely three points deciding the winner.
"Cheers to Rob Fenton and Alan Kirk for organising the OAs part of the team while there were massive shifts from the St Albans lads. Thank you all.
You may also want to watch:
"Then beers and tall stories with friends, rugby as it should be."
For more information on the charity go to www.youthtalk.org.uk
- 1 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 2 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 3 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 4 Shortages crisis hits district
- 5 Property Spotlight: A £2m family home on one of Harpenden's most desirable roads
- 6 Picture special: Pub in the Park returns to St Albans
- 7 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 8 St Albans Sirens overcome seasickness to complete charity Channel swim
- 9 St Albans activist joins protest blocking M25
- 10 Help reunite toy milk jug with new owner