Chariots battle as Mupemhi lights up Harlow clash
VERULAMIAN Chariots Under 14s kicked off the last game of their season on Sunday with a spirited display against Harlow. Two scores for Harlow meant the Vees had to dig deep and a fantastic looping run saw Emil Mupemhi run 40m
VERULAMIAN Chariots Under 14s kicked off the last game of their season on Sunday with a spirited display against Harlow.
Two scores for Harlow meant the Vees had to dig deep and a fantastic looping run saw Emil Mupemhi run 40m around the whole Harlow team to score a try under the posts which was duly converted by ever-reliable captain Charlie Rainsford. Harlow bounced back for a 17-7 lead at half time.
The Vees pack, which has been consistently strong all season were matched for power in the scrums, and these were evenly contested. Both sides tested the ref with handling on the ground and penalties were frequently traded as a result, but good tackling prevented scores from these as both sides chose to run.
From a maul in the left-hand corner Daniel Monaghan appeared with the ball and Harlow by surprise with a 10m dash to the line. The try was converted again and the Vees were within three points 14-17.
You may also want to watch:
From the restart Harlow won the ball and moved the ball to their backs. The Vees backs, thinking a forward pass had been made, failed to make the tackle, and the Harlow right wing scored. A final try followed which enabled Harlow to take the honours 14-29.
After the match, coach Chris Grey praised outstanding player Emil Mupemhi who will be leaving the club. Emil was awarded the Player of the Season cup.
- 1 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 2 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 3 St Albans Band Aid raises £2,200 for local charities
- 4 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 5 National Hospitality Day: 'Per Tutti means everyone is welcome'
- 6 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 7 Historic England asks: 'What do you love about your local high street?'
- 8 Shortages crisis hits district
- 9 Magic Johnson keeps St Albans City in the FA Cup at Concord Rangers
- 10 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
For details about the club see the website to www.vrugby.com or call chairman Rob Lines on 01727 759613. The season will restart in early September and new members for all ages up to Under 15 can be sure of a good welcome.