Chappell expects Gayle to crack Daggers’ line-up this season
- Credit: Archant
Lee Chappell expects Ian Gayle the crack Dagenham and Redbridge’s starting line-up before the end of the current season.
Gayle played his last game for the Saints on Saturday, and while joint manager Jimmy Gray hasn’t given up hope of a future reunion, Chappell is less optimistic.
“Superb. That’s all I can say about him. He’s been brilliant,” said Chappell.
“He should be training with Dagenham but when he trains with us he takes a day off, makes all the sessions and works hard. I’ll be very surprised if he’s not playing for [Dagenham] at the end of the season, or if there isn’t a deal in place because he is good enough.
“I’ve been a clubs, like here and Wealdstone, where we get a lot of loan players in, he’s the only centre-half who I would call superb.”
You may also want to watch:
Omar Beckles looks like the most likely to step into the role vacated by Gayle, and Chappell expects it to be seamless.
“How he was playing a league below is beyond me. He’ll do a job; he’s the same kind of player, just bigger. He’ll slip straight in and it gives a centre-midfield berth for something else to grab,” he said.
- 1 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 2 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 3 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 4 Shortages crisis hits district
- 5 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 6 Picture special: Pub in the Park returns to St Albans
- 7 Property Spotlight: A £2m family home on one of Harpenden's most desirable roads
- 8 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 9 Help reunite toy milk jug with new owner
- 10 St Albans Sirens overcome seasickness to complete charity Channel swim