Champions hit St Albans City for six
ST Albans City rounded off the 2011/12 Evo-Stik Southern League Premier Division campaign by being thumped 6-0 away to champions Brackley Town on Saturday.
David Howell’s men, who finished eighth in the table, found themselves caught up in the top-of-the-table side’s end of season’s celebrations.
The hosts were welcomed onto the pitch ahead of the game by a St Albans City guard of honour, as the Clarence Park outfit showed their respect for the title winners.
Brackley, who like St Albans City are nicknamed The Saints, took the lead on 21 minutes as Brett Solkhon headed past keeper Nick Jupp.
Just nine minutes later the score was doubled as Elliot Sandy rifled home, then he added his second of the day in added on time at the end of the half from 30 yards.
You may also want to watch:
With the score 3-0 at the break, there looked no way back for St Albans.
That proved to be the case as Sandy completed his hat-trick on 54 minutes when he converted Marvin Robinson’s pull-back.
- 1 Driver dies in London Colney crash
- 2 St Albans indies pick up six awards in regional competition
- 3 Woman arrested after wielding broken bottle in St Albans fight
- 4 Man 'tasered' outside Alban Arena after brawl, claim eyewitnesses
- 5 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 6 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 7 Record-breaking run for St Albans' Lizzie Bird in Olympic final
- 8 National Trust set to open at the Abbey Theatre in St Albans
- 9 St Albans MP reveals: 'Oaklands College has no intention of continuing to provide nursery services'
- 10 St Albans South Signal Box reopens to the public
It was five as Robinson got his name on the scoresheet heading in Story’s free-kick.
The final goal of the game come in the 83rd minute as Steve Diggin curled home from outside of the City box.
After the match Brackley collected the league winners’ trophy and carried on their champagne celebrations.