Chambers wins English Schools title
WILL Chambers, of Mid-Herts Golf Club and St George s VA School in Harpenden, won the Boys title at the English Schools Under-16 National Championships. Will, aged 15, shot 67 and 73 to achieve a level par score of 140 in the 36-hole competition
WILL Chambers, of Mid-Herts Golf Club and St George's VA School in Harpenden, won the Boys' title at the English Schools' Under-16 National Championships.
Will, aged 15, shot 67 and 73 to achieve a level par score of 140 in the 36-hole competition, which took place at Tankersley Golf Club in South Yorkshire.
The other Hertfordshire representative was Robert Patterson, of Berkhamsted Golf Club and Ashlyns School, who came 9th= with a score of 148. Previous Hertfordshire winners are Tony Mitchell in 2003 and Carl Duke in 1992 (the inaugural event) and other names on the cup include PGA tour professionals Kenneth Ferrie in 1994 and Nick Dougherty in 1996 and 1997.
The win also earned Will an England cap in the international schools match against Wales in late August, but unfortunately he has had to decline due to other commitments. It follows his 6th= place in the Scottish Boys' Under-16 Open Amateur Stroke Play Championship, scoring 143 over 2 rounds, and 11th= place in the English Boys' Under-16 Stroke Play Championship (McGregor Trophy), scoring 288 over 4 rounds. In both competitions he was the highest placed Hertfordshire boy.
You may also want to watch:
See the website www.tomwardsport.com for more pictures of Will in action at the National Championships.
- 1 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 2 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 3 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 4 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre
- 5 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 6 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 7 Area Guide: The popular Marshalswick area of St Albans
- 8 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire
- 9 12 facts you might not known about Batchwood Hall Covid vaccination centre
- 10 St Albans County Lines crackdown continues with more arrests