Challenge proves too great for battling Colney at Premier side
Challenge Trophy Second Round Langford 2 London Colney 0 IN the Challenge Trophy London Colney put in a spirited display to threaten Premier Division title-chasers Langford on Tuesday. Colney, on good form in Division One,
Challenge Trophy Second Round
Langford 2 London Colney 0
IN the Challenge Trophy London Colney put in a spirited display to threaten Premier Division title-chasers Langford on Tuesday.
Colney, on good form in Division One, started the game with some ferocious tackles to signal their intent and could have taken the lead but Russell Gallagher saw his shot blocked and Josh Humbert then miscued after a corner kick from Danny McCafferty.
Goalkeeper Alistair Hill made a point-blank save from a close-range header from Langford attacker Rob Groves, following a corner.
Colney pressed for the opener and Gallagher flashed the ball across the goal before the outstanding Josh Humbert teed up Jermaine Davey and his cross was hacked clear, while Greg Shaw headed just wide from another McCafferty set piece.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 2 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 3 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
- 4 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 5 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 6 Council confirms which Local Plan sites will be dropped
- 7 The Zombies postpone forthcoming Harpenden tour dates to 2023
- 8 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 9 Inquest jury to hear 999 call made as child choked at Radlett nursery
- 10 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
Langford broke the deadlock just before half time when Wes Byrne rode a strong challenge and cracked an unstoppable shot into the top corner.
Colney almost replied early in the second half when Cain Davey set up Russell Gallagher and his sumptuous drive was heading for the bottom corner, only for the sprawling Langford goalkeeper Dan Eely to flip the shot wide.
Colney found themselves 2-0 down in the 72nd minute when Byrne intercepted a crossfield pass and sprinted away to score.
Minutes later, striker Jermaine Davey was subbed for Paul Danslow who immediately had a shot blocked and fellow substitute Dave Corran saw his strike angle just wide.
London Colney: Hill, Paradise, McCafferty, Gorrell, Dickie, Humbert, C. Davey, Beschizza (Seabrook), J. Davey (Danslow), Shaw (Corran), Gallagher. Unused Sub: Benning.
On Saturday London Colney make the trip to Winslow United in Division One of the Molten Spartan South Midlands League.