Challenge proves too great for battling Colney at Premier side
Challenge Trophy Second Round Langford 2 London Colney 0 IN the Challenge Trophy London Colney put in a spirited display to threaten Premier Division title-chasers Langford on Tuesday. Colney, on good form in Division One,
Challenge Trophy Second Round
Langford 2 London Colney 0
IN the Challenge Trophy London Colney put in a spirited display to threaten Premier Division title-chasers Langford on Tuesday.
Colney, on good form in Division One, started the game with some ferocious tackles to signal their intent and could have taken the lead but Russell Gallagher saw his shot blocked and Josh Humbert then miscued after a corner kick from Danny McCafferty.
You may also want to watch:
Goalkeeper Alistair Hill made a point-blank save from a close-range header from Langford attacker Rob Groves, following a corner.
Colney pressed for the opener and Gallagher flashed the ball across the goal before the outstanding Josh Humbert teed up Jermaine Davey and his cross was hacked clear, while Greg Shaw headed just wide from another McCafferty set piece.
- 1 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 2 St Albans school teacher recognised with national award
- 3 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 4 Market gazebo trial delayed as council admits it cannot fund scheme
- 5 Home-owners' frustration over lack of action to tackle street flooding
- 6 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 7 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 8 Pupils pause to play at St Albans primary school
- 9 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 10 11 things you might not know about St Albans' new Mayor
Langford broke the deadlock just before half time when Wes Byrne rode a strong challenge and cracked an unstoppable shot into the top corner.
Colney almost replied early in the second half when Cain Davey set up Russell Gallagher and his sumptuous drive was heading for the bottom corner, only for the sprawling Langford goalkeeper Dan Eely to flip the shot wide.
Colney found themselves 2-0 down in the 72nd minute when Byrne intercepted a crossfield pass and sprinted away to score.
Minutes later, striker Jermaine Davey was subbed for Paul Danslow who immediately had a shot blocked and fellow substitute Dave Corran saw his strike angle just wide.
London Colney: Hill, Paradise, McCafferty, Gorrell, Dickie, Humbert, C. Davey, Beschizza (Seabrook), J. Davey (Danslow), Shaw (Corran), Gallagher. Unused Sub: Benning.
On Saturday London Colney make the trip to Winslow United in Division One of the Molten Spartan South Midlands League.