Centurions announce special friendly game
ST ALBANS Centurions has announced they have arranged a special friendly against the British Army.
The match, which will take place at Toulmin Drive on August 7, starting at 6.45pm, will act as a warm up game for the Army ahead of the Inter Services Rugby League Tournament against the Navy and RAF that begins later in August.
St Albans Centurions is also using this game as an opportunity to raise money for the Army charity, Troop Aid. The mayor of St Albans will also be attending.
Centurions chairman Brian Parker said: “All funding to this charity is voluntary, which is why we decided to help. Admission to the game is free, and there will be a beer and refreshment tent on site.
“However, we will be passing a bucket round for any donations to this worthy charity. After the game, there is an open invitation to come back to our clubhouse where refreshments will be available.”
You may also want to watch:
Troop Aid was founded in November 2006 by three ex-servicemen as a result of a visit to Selly Oak Hospital’s Alexandra Wing in Birmingham. This is the home of the Defence Medical Welfare Services, which is responsible for the welfare of all Armed Forces Personnel, male and female who have been injured during the conflict in Afghanistan and elsewhere.
It found that when injured troops return to the United Kingdom from the war zones they arrive back without their personal effects or clothing, just what they are wearing. The objective of Troop Aid is to support them by providing the basic essentials that they need upon arrival at hospital and for the next few days until family or friends can get things sorted.
- 1 Revealed: The St Albans postcodes with the biggest house price reductions
- 2 St Albans barber and landlord hit by Covid closures due to 'pingdemic'
- 3 Firearms officers search car in Morrisons after report of gun
- 4 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 5 12 ideas on how to survive the summer holidays in Herts
- 6 Did you see a violent attack in French Row?
- 7 Two arrested in connection with Verulamium Park assault
- 8 Charity cyclists ride 300 miles to Newcastle and raise £33K
- 9 What's on this summer: Hidden gems to be found in historic St Albans
- 10 Harpenden's first Sustainable Market is a scorching success