Centurion Roe leads Redbourn to dramatic cup success
ON Sunday Redbourn visited Southgate Adelaide for their Second Round match in the Herts County Trophy. Batting first, Redbourn found themselves in all sorts of trouble, as an inexperienced batting line up capitulated, leaving the visitors on 102 for 8.
ON Sunday Redbourn visited Southgate Adelaide for their Second Round match in the Herts County Trophy.
Batting first, Redbourn found themselves in all sorts of trouble, as an inexperienced batting line up capitulated, leaving the visitors on 102 for 8. However, there was a chink of light for the Redbourn side, as skipper Dan Roe remained at the crease and with great support from Jon 'Bunny' Fleming added a record 124 for the ninth wicket.
Regular number 11 bat, Fleming finished on a fine unbeaten 18, but it was Roe that was to take the main plaudits with a remarkable 145, that included three sixes and 21 fours. Redbourn were not able to see out their allotted 50 overs but the pair had ensured that the visitors had set a challenging total of 231.
In reply, Adelaide's top order found the going a little easier despite some good bowling from Fleming, Dan Thatcher (1 for 41) and Ben Roe (1 for 25).
You may also want to watch:
At 199 for 3, Adelaide had victory within their grasp, but buoyed by his new found batting ability, an inspired Fleming was to take four wickets in two overs, including the dangerous Chandler (74) ending with final figures of 4 for 46.
With Adelaide requiring 10 runs to win off the last over, skipper Roe (2 for 48) took on the responsibility of bowling the last over. Having been hit for seven runs with only four legitimate balls bowled, the side were starting to rue his decision. However, Man of the Match, Roe held his nerve, as his last two balls were to produce no more runs and Redbourn ran out victors by the finest of margins.
- 1 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 2 St Albans school teacher recognised with national award
- 3 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 4 Home-owners' frustration over lack of action to tackle street flooding
- 5 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 6 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 7 Market gazebo trial delayed as council admits it cannot fund scheme
- 8 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 9 11 things you might not know about St Albans' new Mayor
- 10 St Albans house prices hit record high