Cents U13s narrowly miss out on festival title
- Credit: Archant
St Albans Centurions U13s opened their 2015 season by coming within one try of winning the Richmond nine-a-side festival, held to open the 2015 London Junior League.
Twelve teams from in and around London were divided into three groups and the Centurions won all of their games, against Richmond Titans, Invicta Panthers and Sussex Merlins, to reach the semi-finals, where they made short work of London Skolars.
The final pitted Cents in a rematch against Sussex Merlins. The game did not go Cents’ way as, try as they might, they couldn’t cross the line in the latter stages of the game and lost by three tries to two.
After the game, coach Craig Naylor said: “I’m very, very proud of our boys who showed great leadership across the field in a team that possessed a number of players new to rugby league.
“It was a wonderful start to the season for Centurions U13s. I have to complement our players tackling which was simply outstanding against teams with much bigger packs. Our passing, handling and running was also top draw.
You may also want to watch:
“All of them showed great courage, leadership and technical skill across the field and for a team that possessed a number of players new to rugby league. We should be very excited about the season ahead.
“It was a wonderful opening start to the season and this now gives us a great platform on which to build. Well done boys.”
- 1 Village's first scarecrow trail raises £700 for school
- 2 Property Spotlight: A penthouse apartment at St Albans' Gabriel Square
- 3 Schoolgirl donates hair to Little Princess Trust
- 4 All you need to know about St Albans Cathedral's Alban Pilgrimage this year
- 5 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 6 Have your say on St Stephen Neighbourhood Plan
- 7 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 8 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 9 It's showtime at Rothamsted with West End stars performing in 'Musicals at the Manor'
- 10 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19