Cents top the pile
Centurions top the Southern Premiership table after exciting win over Sharks
RLC Southern Premiership
St Albans Centurions 52
West London Sharks 44
DEFENCE was as St Albans Centurions defeated West London Sharks at Cotlandswick on Saturday.
The tit-for-tat encounter began on the opening drive, Adam Kambouris crossing, but the Sharks edged ahead with Peter Scotney’s first try and a conversion and penalty from John Duffy.
A Darren Westhead touchdown in the 22nd minute and Andy John goal put the Cents back in front before full-back Scotney crossed again for the visitors.
- 1 Council confirms first monkeypox case in Hertfordshire
- 2 Police probe into death of man in 20s at 'Kinky Towers' in Hertfordshire
- 3 Peregrine falcon chick hatches at St Albans Cathedral in a city first
- 4 The Crossrail connections to Hertfordshire which were never built
- 5 Recap: Rail delays through St Albans and Harpenden after train hits branch
- 6 Jubilee garden opened at Harpenden primary school
- 7 Success for Harpenden actor after National Youth Theatre audition
- 8 School's generous donation to foodbank
- 9 Fire crews receive 'multiple' 999 calls amid large blaze at Welham Green
- 10 St Albans garden centre dedicates fundraising year to Brain Tumour Research
Cents player/coach Shane Rampling and Sharks’ Terence Puna exchanged tries and the game was level 20 all at the break with Adam Kal’s score for Cents.
Skipper Paul Maloney increased the lead, Scotney pegging it back with his hat-trick score.
The game continued to go this way and that as Roy Dube crashed over for the Cents. A Blake Milner try and John Duffy goal took the score to 32-30 but two tries in three minutes just after the hour mark from Brett Welsh and Ollie Fountain put the Cents in the driving seat.
Hooker Milner’s second touchdown again hauled West back into the contest. Another two try burst from Dan Hensby and Ollie Fountain secured the spoils for Cents but the Sharks battled gamely to the end with Craig Krugar claiming the 17th touchdown of the afternoon.
With the Season now at the half-way point the Centurions lead the Rugby League Conference Southern Premiership table, joint top with Hammersmith, only the Cents superior points difference separating the teams.