Cents on the world stage
United Kingdom 12 Rest of the World 30 SEVEN players from St Albans Centurions were called up to represent the Rest of the World against United Kingdom citizens. The Cents players chosen were Dan Hensby (West Indies), player-coach Shane Rampling
United Kingdom 12 Rest of the World 30
SEVEN players from St Albans Centurions were called up to represent the Rest of the World against United Kingdom citizens.
The Cents players chosen were Dan Hensby (West Indies), player-coach Shane Rampling (Australia), Jacques Steynberg (South Africa), Paul Malloney (Ireland), Chris True (Germany) and Roy Dube and Rudi Van Der Merwe (South Africa).
The Rest of the World side and the UK team were made up of players from Rugby League Conference.
The match was played at St Mary's University, Twickenham in support of the charity Right to Play, an international humanitarian organization. Carl Harrison, the RFL club and coach development officer for the South East region explained the background to the match. He said: "We were looking for an event that the Rugby League community could really get behind."
Cents' Paul Maloney (Ireland) was the star player with his powerful running and his involvement in six of the RotW tries. Dan Hensby also ran in a try, and the centre/wing partnership of South Africans Rudi Van Der Merwe and Jacques Steynberg ran in four tries between them. St Albans Rugby League Development officer Shane Rampling controlled the game from his stand off position whilst Cents two other players, Chris True and Roy Dube added to the strength of their side.
- 1 St Albans paedophile jailed for trying to arrange online abuse
- 2 Aldi prioritises St Albans for new store
- 3 WATCH: Delivery driver caught fly-tipping in rural area
- 4 Sentence increase for St Albans theatre stalwart jailed for paedophilia
- 5 St Albans woman defies odds to become oldest with Rett Syndrome
- 6 Area Guide: The historic St Michael's village area of St Albans
- 7 Major architectural firm moves into St Albans
- 8 Call for proper testing for new Charter Market stalls
- 9 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 10 Drum kit, CD player and stereo stolen in burglary
The fixture will become a regular contest around the Rugby League Challenge Cup weekend.