Cents on the world stage
United Kingdom 12 Rest of the World 30 SEVEN players from St Albans Centurions were called up to represent the Rest of the World against United Kingdom citizens. The Cents players chosen were Dan Hensby (West Indies), player-coach Shane Rampling
United Kingdom 12 Rest of the World 30
SEVEN players from St Albans Centurions were called up to represent the Rest of the World against United Kingdom citizens.
The Cents players chosen were Dan Hensby (West Indies), player-coach Shane Rampling (Australia), Jacques Steynberg (South Africa), Paul Malloney (Ireland), Chris True (Germany) and Roy Dube and Rudi Van Der Merwe (South Africa).
The Rest of the World side and the UK team were made up of players from Rugby League Conference.
You may also want to watch:
The match was played at St Mary's University, Twickenham in support of the charity Right to Play, an international humanitarian organization. Carl Harrison, the RFL club and coach development officer for the South East region explained the background to the match. He said: "We were looking for an event that the Rugby League community could really get behind."
Cents' Paul Maloney (Ireland) was the star player with his powerful running and his involvement in six of the RotW tries. Dan Hensby also ran in a try, and the centre/wing partnership of South Africans Rudi Van Der Merwe and Jacques Steynberg ran in four tries between them. St Albans Rugby League Development officer Shane Rampling controlled the game from his stand off position whilst Cents two other players, Chris True and Roy Dube added to the strength of their side.
- 1 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 2 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 3 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 4 Shortages crisis hits district
- 5 Property Spotlight: A £2m family home on one of Harpenden's most desirable roads
- 6 Picture special: Pub in the Park returns to St Albans
- 7 St Albans Sirens overcome seasickness to complete charity Channel swim
- 8 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 9 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 10 Help reunite toy milk jug with new owner
The fixture will become a regular contest around the Rugby League Challenge Cup weekend.