Cents looking to boost numbers in 2014
After a year of consolidation in 2013, St Albans Centurions minis and juniors is looking to increase playing numbers in 2014 on the back of the high profile and successful Rugby League World Cup.
On January 11 and 18, the club is hosting open trials for the new U12 side (school year 7) and this will be open to all players regardless of experience and ability. The Centurions hosted a similar event pre-Christmas and over 30 boys attended, many of whom play other sports including football and rugby union and it was their first experience of rugby league.
The other junior age groups start training towards the end of January and the minis/primary age groups, open to boys and girls, will start training in mid-February.
U12 coach Craig Naylor said: “I am really looking forward to an exciting 2014 for the age groups at Centurions. When people saw the Rugby League World Cup, they could not help but recognise what skill, courage and speed is involved in the game and we had many calls from interested new players.
“We are always keen to hear from anyone who might be interested, and it should be realised that involvement in other sports does not prevent you getting involved in rugby league as there is very little overlap in seasons, league being played in Spring Summer.
You may also want to watch:
“We are hopeful of a really good turnout for the U12 trials on Saturday and I must stress it is open to all.”
If you are interested in finding out more information about minis and junior rugby league in St Albans, email email@example.com or call 07713 472091.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 2 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 3 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 4 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 5 Shortages crisis hits district
- 6 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 7 Area Guide: The quaint Hertfordshire village of Piccotts End
- 8 Harpenden Food and Drink Festival returns after six years
- 9 Help reunite toy milk jug with new owner
- 10 Property Spotlight: A £2m family home on one of Harpenden's most desirable roads