Cents Lawrence called up to GB College squad
- Credit: Archant
The 2014 England College Squad has been announced to take on Belgium and the Netherlands in Brussels on Saturday, July 19 and St Albans Centurions player Josh Lawrence, who attends Oaklands College, has been selected.
The 20 players have been selected from a train-on squad picked from the college regional championships that took place in early May.
The squad has completed two training days in preparation for the tour. The team leave for Brussels on Friday, July 18. A light training session on the Friday night will be the final opportunity for them to bond as a squad before the tournament on the Saturday afternoon.
A cultural day on Sunday will end the tour, with the players arriving back in London on Monday, July 21.
Head coach Dean Reacher said: “This is a very promising squad. I have been really pleased with the commitment and standard of performance thus far.
You may also want to watch:
“The squad selection has been extremely difficult and I would like to thank all players involved throughout the process so far. The trip to Belgium will be a great experience for all involved, the challenge now is to gel as a team both on and off the field. I am very excited to be working with such a talented group of players.”
Centurions director of rugby David Stevens added: “Everyone here at the Cents are really pleased for Josh. He is a really nice young lad who gives his all in every game. Josh started in our junior teams and worked his way through to the seniors, where he is now a permanent fixture in the squad. We wish him all the best”.
- 1 St Albans nursery given six weeks' notice warning of potential closure
- 2 In Pictures: Harpenden Farmers' Market back on the Common
- 3 Do you remember when The Inbetweeners came to St Albans?
- 4 Urgent care services at St Albans hospital could become appointment only
- 5 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 6 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 7 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
- 8 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 9 Property Spotlight: A spacious family home in Harpenden's prestigious West Common
- 10 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
Centurions chairman Brian Parker said: “I remember Josh playing for our junior teams, he was something special then, and now his talent is being recognised nationally. He’s a very well liked young man, and everyone at the Centurions club are really pleased for him. Well done Josh.”