Cents kick-off The Big Hit
St Albans Centurions Minis kicked off its own build up to this year’s Rugby League World Cup with a grand trophy tour of nine local primary schools.
The schools were invited to participate in the clubs initiative, dubbed The Big Hit, which looks to engage boys and girls with what promises to be an exciting tournament.
The trophy tour kicked off the Big Hit with not only the Rugby League World Cup trophy but also the World Cup mascot, Grubber, touring the city.
The day concluded with 40 teachers attending a coaching session at Samuel Ryder Academy, where Centurions’ Gary Tetlow put them through their paces, familiarising them with the rules of tag rugby league. The group was joined by deputy major councillor Brian Gibbard and students from the Academy.
Speaking about the project, Centurions coach Mike Kelly said: “The trophy tour was really special, all the kids and teachers loved it. The schools have really engaged with this project and as a club we are really excited about working with them to inspire their interest in rugby league, a sport which is not readily accessible to them.
“The idea that they can see some top class sport on their doorstep with the semi-final event is a chance in a lifetime and it is so affordable. I would urge anyone who likes their sport fast and furious, with skill aplenty, then join us at Wembley Stadium’.
The Big Hit offers the opportunity for the children and their families to be part of Rugby League World Cup festivities with the semi-final double header at Wembley Stadium on 23rd November. With every chance at least one home nation will be involved, it promises to be a massive event and affordable with tickets priced at £12.50 adult and £7.50 concession.
- 1 Katherine Ryan and Romesh Ranganathan spotted filming in St Albans
- 2 Hertfordshire grandad who died in A6 Bugatti crash had a 'generous spirit'
- 3 Campaign to keep Chiswell 'green' gains momentum
- 4 Mr Motorsports - the St Albans lawyer with F1 flair
- 5 How the extent of cost of living crisis hit home at St Albans' CEX store
- 6 Pantomime dame from Radlett appears on ITV’s Britain’s Got Talent
- 7 Have you had your council tax rebate yet?
- 8 7 great places to get a bottomless brunch in Hertfordshire
- 9 Rent this maisonette in a listed former pub for £2,100pcm
- 10 Meet the artist behind The Queen's Platinum Jubilee mural in St Albans
For more information on the Big Hit, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 07713 472091.