Cents kick of Primary Rugby League campaign
- Credit: Archant
St Albans Centurions u11s kicked off their 2014 Primary Rugby League season with a friendly against local rivals Hemel Stags.
After four 12-minute quarters nothing could separate the teams and the game ended 4-4. The sides met again last Thursday and this time the Cents showed enough to come out on top, fighting back from 3-0 down to win 5-3.
The final game of a busy week took place on Saturday when Cents took on their counterparts from London Skolars.
It proved to be a tough game against a bigger, more mobile London side. Despite the difference in size and experience, the Cents stuck to their task and having been 5-2 down, they exctedly stormed back to make it five-all, only to concede two late tries to lose the game.
Coach Gary Tetlow said: “I am really pleased with the effort the players put over the last week. For a lot it was a whole new experience and playing the three games allowed them to start to feel more comfortable in this great sport.
You may also want to watch:
“Playing as u9s there was very little structure to the game whereas u11s there are defined positions and the game is more aligned with the demanding one we all know.”
He added: “We continue to focus on the players enjoyment and development and part of this process is helping them better understand the game and their role. We continue to welcome new players all the time and anyone interested in getting involved at u11, 9 or 7 get in touch.”
- 1 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 2 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 3 Do you remember when The Inbetweeners came to St Albans?
- 4 Lost Morecambe & Wise episode to be screened on TV for first time in 50 years
- 5 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 6 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 7 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 8 St Albans barber and landlord hit by Covid closures due to 'pingdemic'
- 9 Revealed: The St Albans postcodes with the biggest house price reductions
- 10 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre
The squad included: Alex, Ali, Aran, Astrid, Ben, Benny, Cian, Finlay, Gaby, Huw, Iestyn, Jamie, Josh, Nia, Oakley, Orlando, Owen, Rory, Sammy, Shay