Castle reveals how close he was to signing Hockton
CITY boss Steve Castle has revealed how close he was to bringing Danny Hockton to Clarence Park. It was reported last week that City were vying with Chelmsford City for the 30-year-old s signature but the former Braintree striker has since signed for Chel
CITY boss Steve Castle has revealed how close he was to bringing Danny Hockton to Clarence Park.
It was reported last week that City were vying with Chelmsford City for the 30-year-old's signature but the former Braintree striker has since signed for Chelmsford.
Hockton scored 19 goals last season for Braintree and Castle saw him as an ideal replacement for Paul Hakim who looks set to miss out next season due to work commitments.
Castle revealed to The Herts Advertiser that Hockton had agreed to come to Clarence Park before changing his mind due to the travelling involved.
You may also want to watch:
He said: "I was very interested in signing Danny. The logistics of getting Danny here were the problem.
"He'd agreed to come but he realised quite quickly that it (travelling) would have been too much.
- 1 Property Spotlight: A penthouse apartment at St Albans' Gabriel Square
- 2 Village's first scarecrow trail raises £700 for school
- 3 All you need to know about St Albans Cathedral's Alban Pilgrimage this year
- 4 Schoolgirl donates hair to Little Princess Trust
- 5 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 6 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 7 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 8 Have your say on St Stephen Neighbourhood Plan
- 9 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 10 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
"Danny would have been an ideal replacement for someone like Paul Hakim, but I've got one or two in the pipeline who will hopefully come through."
The City players return to pre-season training tonight (Wednesday) at Oaklands where it is hoped several of last season's squad will sign-on.