Castle reveals how close he was to signing Hockton
CITY boss Steve Castle has revealed how close he was to bringing Danny Hockton to Clarence Park. It was reported last week that City were vying with Chelmsford City for the 30-year-old s signature but the former Braintree striker has since signed for Chel
CITY boss Steve Castle has revealed how close he was to bringing Danny Hockton to Clarence Park.
It was reported last week that City were vying with Chelmsford City for the 30-year-old's signature but the former Braintree striker has since signed for Chelmsford.
Hockton scored 19 goals last season for Braintree and Castle saw him as an ideal replacement for Paul Hakim who looks set to miss out next season due to work commitments.
Castle revealed to The Herts Advertiser that Hockton had agreed to come to Clarence Park before changing his mind due to the travelling involved.
He said: "I was very interested in signing Danny. The logistics of getting Danny here were the problem.
"He'd agreed to come but he realised quite quickly that it (travelling) would have been too much.
- 1 Council confirms first monkeypox case in Hertfordshire
- 2 Recap: Rail delays through St Albans and Harpenden after train hits branch
- 3 The Crossrail connections to Hertfordshire which were never built
- 4 Jubilee garden opened at Harpenden primary school
- 5 Police probe into death of man in 20s at 'Kinky Towers' in Hertfordshire
- 6 School's generous donation to foodbank
- 7 Fire crews receive 'multiple' 999 calls amid large blaze at Welham Green
- 8 Breakaway Theatre Company returns with an enjoyable day at the races in Ladies' Day
- 9 St Albans garden centre dedicates fundraising year to Brain Tumour Research
- 10 Goods worth more than £260 in total stolen from St Albans Co-op store
"Danny would have been an ideal replacement for someone like Paul Hakim, but I've got one or two in the pipeline who will hopefully come through."
The City players return to pre-season training tonight (Wednesday) at Oaklands where it is hoped several of last season's squad will sign-on.