Camaraderie behind Saints’ play-off victory
- Credit: Archant
Captain James Comley believes the camaraderie in the squad was behind Monday’s 3-1 Southern League play-off final win over Chesham United.
City’s starting line-up featured just three players who appeared for the club last year – Comley, Darren Locke and David Keenleyside – so to earn promotion in their first season is a huge achievement, according to Comley.
“It feels flipping great,” he said.
“The boys worked so hard out there. In our first season together…if you look at us out there, there were two or three players from last season, it was always going to be our hardest season.
“We’re a new bunch of lads and we’ve done well. We’ve worked so hard and come through by beating Cambridge [City] and Chesham.
“The lads have worked hard [as have the] management and everyone involved. What a club, back where they belong.”
Comley admitted the plan was for City to stamp their authority on the game early, but it didn’t go that was as James Potton scored a seventh-minute opener for Chesham.
- 1 Man arrested following alleged St Albans M&S theft
- 2 Woman in her 70s victim of St Albans 'distraction theft'
- 3 Dog owner avoids jail after hitting pet so hard that wooden pole snaps
- 4 Harpenden residents hit back at Green Belt homes bid
- 5 St Albans Post Office branch re-opening after three years
- 6 Local NHS111 service provider to handle minor injuries at St Albans City Hospital
- 7 Recap: Lorry catches fire on M25 in Hertfordshire
- 8 Day of fundraising for No Floor No More campaign
- 9 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 10 Where you can see the Perseid meteor shower in Hertfordshire
“We said we want to start how we mean to go on, unfortunately for us we didn’t start that way. Last week got two early goals but today was a different story, coming from one down,” he said.
“We fight for each other and work hard for each other. We went 1-0 down but we’ve gone on to score two or three. That’s says it all.
“We had the bottle and now we’re going to enjoy it.