Caley knock sees St Albans to opening victory
Experienced batsman leads Saints home
SHL Division One
St Albans 158-7
St Albans won by three wickets
You may also want to watch:
AFTER losing the toss and being asked to bowl on a wet wicket St Albans’ openers Afroz Khan (0-18) and Martin Jones (1-28) bowled tightly without reward beating the edge on a regular basis.
First change bowlers James Rosson (3-34) and Jon Smithers (1-38) had better luck taking quick wickets. The run rate was well controlled throughout the innings and the Berkhamsted tail was not allowed to wag. Ben Ramsay returning after spending a year out injured to claim two wickets.
- 1 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 2 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 3 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 4 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre
- 5 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 6 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 7 Area Guide: The popular Marshalswick area of St Albans
- 8 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire
- 9 12 facts you might not known about Batchwood Hall Covid vaccination centre
- 10 St Albans County Lines crackdown continues with more arrests
Saints openers knew the first 10 overs would be vital and Matt Howeson and Ian McKinlay played some probing seam bowling well.
St Albans then took their opportunity to score quickly in the middle overs and Smithers on debut made a quick fire 42 to keep the asking rate manageable. The win was then secured in good time thanks to the experienced Phil Caley (37*) partnered by Rosson to top off his good day with the ball.
This was a good win for St Albans but there will be sterner tests to come.