Burgess double as Harps face champions
West Herts League Premier Division Hemel Hempstead Rovers 4 Harpenden Rovers 3 HARPENDEN Rovers played out a thrilling fixture away at current league champions Hemel Hempstead Rovers. Unlike recent performances, Harps started brightly with veteran Andy L
West Herts League Premier Division
Hemel Hempstead Rovers 4 Harpenden Rovers 3
HARPENDEN Rovers played out a thrilling fixture away at current league champions Hemel Hempstead Rovers.
Unlike recent performances, Harps started brightly with veteran Andy Lee holding the shape in midfield.
Harps dominated the first half and 10 minutes before the break a superb through ball from Man of the Match Ollie Wedd put in the speedy Joe Burgess to slot home.
Five minutes later Harps fell asleep and Hemel snatched an equaliser.
- 1 Person dies after being hit by a train between St Albans and London
- 2 Body of man in his 40s found in Hemel Hempstead
- 3 Police 'concerned for welfare' of missing Hertfordshire teenager
- 4 Car and moped crash in St Albans
- 5 Fresh call for safer crossing on route into city centre
- 6 Man breaks ankle during 'assault' in Hemel Hempstead
- 7 Married at First Sight: St Albans' Whitney wants to walk down the aisle
- 8 Call for hosepipe ban to protect River Ver
- 9 St Albans Striders brave the heat to tackle numerous races
- 10 Main footpath closed while CCOS South work underway
Hemel struck first after half time but Harps went in search of the equaliser and some great forward play from Gareth Devoti and Graham Golds set up Burgess to net in style.
Hemel twice struck goals against the run of play to lead 4-2 but Rovers did not give up and the move of the game came when the inspirational Wedd put through Wayne Carberry. He crossed to Golds who fed the ball across for stand-in skipper Devoti to score.
The final score was 4-3 to Hemel and Harps will now focus on the cups to ensure some silverware this term.
l Rovers' second team beat bottom side L'Artista 4-2. Paul Turner and Si Hansard put in great performances.
Goals from John Dirk, James Dobinson, Kai Allen and Chris Coleman (two) gave Rovers third Team a 5-0 win against Inn on the Green. Man of the Match was Rick Russell. Dave Stevens and James Dobinson also played well.