Burgess double as Harps face champions
West Herts League Premier Division Hemel Hempstead Rovers 4 Harpenden Rovers 3 HARPENDEN Rovers played out a thrilling fixture away at current league champions Hemel Hempstead Rovers. Unlike recent performances, Harps started brightly with veteran Andy L
West Herts League Premier Division
Hemel Hempstead Rovers 4 Harpenden Rovers 3
HARPENDEN Rovers played out a thrilling fixture away at current league champions Hemel Hempstead Rovers.
Unlike recent performances, Harps started brightly with veteran Andy Lee holding the shape in midfield.
You may also want to watch:
Harps dominated the first half and 10 minutes before the break a superb through ball from Man of the Match Ollie Wedd put in the speedy Joe Burgess to slot home.
Five minutes later Harps fell asleep and Hemel snatched an equaliser.
- 1 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 2 National Hospitality Day: 'Per Tutti means everyone is welcome'
- 3 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 4 Help reunite toy milk jug with new owner
- 5 Harpenden Food and Drink Festival returns after six years
- 6 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 7 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 8 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 9 St Albans activist joins protest blocking M25
- 10 Area Guide: The quaint Hertfordshire village of Piccotts End
Hemel struck first after half time but Harps went in search of the equaliser and some great forward play from Gareth Devoti and Graham Golds set up Burgess to net in style.
Hemel twice struck goals against the run of play to lead 4-2 but Rovers did not give up and the move of the game came when the inspirational Wedd put through Wayne Carberry. He crossed to Golds who fed the ball across for stand-in skipper Devoti to score.
The final score was 4-3 to Hemel and Harps will now focus on the cups to ensure some silverware this term.
l Rovers' second team beat bottom side L'Artista 4-2. Paul Turner and Si Hansard put in great performances.
Goals from John Dirk, James Dobinson, Kai Allen and Chris Coleman (two) gave Rovers third Team a 5-0 win against Inn on the Green. Man of the Match was Rick Russell. Dave Stevens and James Dobinson also played well.