Burgess blow as Rovers fall to defeat
West Herts League Premier Division Harpenden Rovers 2 Kings Sports 6 HARPENDEN Rovers suffered a double blow as they went down at home to Kings Sports on Saturday in the West Herts League Premier Division.
West Herts League Premier Division
Harpenden Rovers 2 Kings Sports 6
HARPENDEN Rovers suffered a double blow as they went down at home to Kings Sports on Saturday in the West Herts League Premier Division.
Attacker Joe Burgess has been ruled out of the final of the Apsley Senior Charity Cup to be played on Saturday after a freak accident.
Rovers were 1-0 down at the break and then conceded four goals in 15 second-half minutes as the contest was finished. Rovers battled on and goals from Graham Golds and a cracker from Ollie Poole reduced the deficit, before Kings Sports added a sixth late on. Harpenden take on Hemel Rovers in the rescheduled cup final on Saturday at 6pm after the original tie at Hemel Hempstead Town FC was abandoned due to bad weather.
Rovers' second team had two games in three days, first against local rivals Harpenden Town A who still had aspirations of promotion.
- 1 Woman assaulted by teenage boys in Hemel Hempstead underpass
- 2 Man stabbed in St Albans
- 3 Major architectural firm moves into St Albans
- 4 WATCH: Delivery driver caught fly-tipping in rural area
- 5 Aldi prioritises St Albans for new store
- 6 St Albans woman defies odds to become oldest with Rett Syndrome
- 7 Area Guide: The historic St Michael's village area of St Albans
- 8 St Albans paedophile jailed for trying to arrange online abuse
- 9 Sentence increase for St Albans theatre stalwart jailed for paedophilia
- 10 St Albans is one of UK's worst locations for hay fever
A bullet header from striker Craig Redfearn proved the only goal of the game after a perfect corner delivery from Paul Turner.
Defenders Ian Ascough and Neil Rawlinson were immense and Paul Turner and Chris Jenkinson looked dangerous on the counter attack.
In the second game Rovers went down 3-1 to league leaders Sun Postal and with many players missing. Chris Jenkinson scored for Rovers.
l In snowy conditions Harpenden Rovers Vets, produced a terrific performance to beat an established Met Police Vets side 3-1, to reach the Hertfordshire Veterans County Cup Final in their first season.
Paul Turner scored twice in the first half, curling home a fine shot and then striking a crisp effort in after excellent work from David Wren.
Goalkeeper Ivan Gould was superb for Rovers and they sealed the match with a spectacular third goal. A fine sweeping team move was finished off by the lively Alan Stevens. Met Police stole a goal back when they were awarded a late penalty.
Harpenden Rovers now face a very strong Garston Vets side in the final on the April 9 at the County Ground at Letchworth, kick off 7.30pm.