Bumper medal haul for St Albans swimmers at county championships
- Credit: Archant
Youngsters from the City of St Albans (CoStA) swimming club brought home a bumper haul of medals from this year’s county championships.
Sixty-two swimmers qualified for the annual meet and returned with 72 medals in total, including 15 gold.
The championships, which are the first formal rung on a ladder that runs through regionals, nationals and ultimately ends up at World Championships and the Olympics, saw competitors participating in 393 individual races and 12 relays over three consecutive weekends.
One of CoStA’s most promising stars was 11 year-old Lucy Coia-Bell, who achieved an exceptional five gold medals.
Sisters Shannon Stott, 15, and Lauren Stott, 13, each brought home two golds, as did 10 year-old Kieran Birkett.
You may also want to watch:
Jess Patrick, 12, and Grace Wylie, 14, came away with a gold medal each, while the club also secured the top spot in the senior girls’ freestyle and medley relay events.
In addition to the stash of medals, 24 CoStA swimmers achieved 74 regional qualifying times, setting them on their way to competing against the best swimmers from across the East region later this year.
- 1 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 2 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 3 St Albans house prices hit record high
- 4 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 5 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 6 School buzzing about new Forest School and Hive building
- 7 Property Spotlight: A family home in Harpenden's sought after East Common
- 8 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 9 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 10 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
Many more of the club’s swimmers were less than a second off a regional time.
CoStA head coach Mike Cole said: “Our success at the Counties is testament to the hard work and commitment our swimmers put into their training each and every week.
“It was wonderful to see so many of them win medals and even more achieve personal bests.
“We’re now looking ahead to the regionals.”