Buckingham spoil Thompson’s return party
- Credit: Archant
Ryan Thompson’s first game back at London Colney ended in defeat as Buckingham Athletic ran out 3-0 winners in the Challenge Trophy.
Thompson returned to the club this week in place of Jim Nicholls, who stepped down due to work commitments, but any hopes of a winning reunion were quickly dashed as Buckingham raced into a 2-0 lead.
Adam Bone curled a free-kick into the box for Ross Firth to head home the opener before Chris Davies converted from the penalty spot after Sam Doolan had fouled George Jackman.
The Blueboys fought hard for a foothold in the game - Elliot Bailey forced Adam Hammond to make a smart save - but the turned around two goals down.
The deficit soon became three as Scott Latham drilled his shot under Jack Smith in the Colney goal. Try as they might to spark an unlikely comeback, Hammond remained resolute and kept the Blueboys at bay, securing progression in the competition.
This Saturday, London Colney welcome Northampton Spencer to Cotlandswick for a FA Vase second round tie.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 2 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 3 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 4 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 5 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 6 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
- 7 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 8 St Albans hockey player still going strong at 80
- 9 Caretakers of creation: church's work protecting environment
- 10 Area Guide: The busy Hertfordshire town of Hemel Hempstead