Buckingham spoil Thompson’s return party
- Credit: Archant
Ryan Thompson’s first game back at London Colney ended in defeat as Buckingham Athletic ran out 3-0 winners in the Challenge Trophy.
Thompson returned to the club this week in place of Jim Nicholls, who stepped down due to work commitments, but any hopes of a winning reunion were quickly dashed as Buckingham raced into a 2-0 lead.
Adam Bone curled a free-kick into the box for Ross Firth to head home the opener before Chris Davies converted from the penalty spot after Sam Doolan had fouled George Jackman.
The Blueboys fought hard for a foothold in the game - Elliot Bailey forced Adam Hammond to make a smart save - but the turned around two goals down.
The deficit soon became three as Scott Latham drilled his shot under Jack Smith in the Colney goal. Try as they might to spark an unlikely comeback, Hammond remained resolute and kept the Blueboys at bay, securing progression in the competition.
You may also want to watch:
This Saturday, London Colney welcome Northampton Spencer to Cotlandswick for a FA Vase second round tie.
- 1 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 2 Urgent care hub to be created at St Albans City Hospital
- 3 Appeal for witnesses after fatal road accident
- 4 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 5 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 6 Market trader pledges to shave beard for new St Albans recovery home
- 7 St Albans street remembers sacrifices of WWI heroes
- 8 No cars mean children can play out in streets
- 9 Aboyne Lodge celebrates new headteacher and revamp
- 10 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images