Buckingham spoil Thompson’s return party
- Credit: Archant
Ryan Thompson’s first game back at London Colney ended in defeat as Buckingham Athletic ran out 3-0 winners in the Challenge Trophy.
Thompson returned to the club this week in place of Jim Nicholls, who stepped down due to work commitments, but any hopes of a winning reunion were quickly dashed as Buckingham raced into a 2-0 lead.
Adam Bone curled a free-kick into the box for Ross Firth to head home the opener before Chris Davies converted from the penalty spot after Sam Doolan had fouled George Jackman.
The Blueboys fought hard for a foothold in the game - Elliot Bailey forced Adam Hammond to make a smart save - but the turned around two goals down.
The deficit soon became three as Scott Latham drilled his shot under Jack Smith in the Colney goal. Try as they might to spark an unlikely comeback, Hammond remained resolute and kept the Blueboys at bay, securing progression in the competition.
You may also want to watch:
This Saturday, London Colney welcome Northampton Spencer to Cotlandswick for a FA Vase second round tie.
- 1 St Albans school teacher recognised with national award
- 2 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 3 Market gazebo trial delayed as council admits it cannot fund scheme
- 4 Home-owners' frustration over lack of action to tackle street flooding
- 5 Pupils pause to play at St Albans primary school
- 6 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 7 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 8 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 9 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 10 11 things you might not know about St Albans' new Mayor