Broncos Joey Grima hosts Cents’ end of year awards
St Albans Centurions minis and juniors marked the end of another season with their awards ceremony, held at a packed New Greens clubhouse.
The event was made extra special with the guest of honour, Joey Grima, head coach of the London Broncos Rugby League side, who gave out the awards to many familiar faces as an army of Centurions had a attended the previous day’s Super League game between Broncos’ and Bradford Bulls as his guests.
The award winners at U9 were: players’ player – Robert Hutchings; coaches’ award – William Heselton; most improved – Ahmed Mrabate
U11: players’ player – Rory Vorster; coaches’ award: Alex Gosling; most improved: Gaby McGlenn and Aran Gnanendran; Centurions medal for outstanding contribution - Sophie Bates and Cian Kelly.
U12: coaches’ player – Harry Dean.
Speaking after the event, coach Gary Tetlow said: “It was a great way to round off a wonderful year for all three age groups. After a turbulent two or three years for the juniors we decided to trim down the number of sides and ensure that we ran the sides well rather than over stretch ourselves.
“The result has been impressive with each team competing keenly in their respective age groups. In the off season we are looking to recruit more players, and also qualify more coaches, and introduce more volunteers to this great game and club.
- 1 Person dies after being hit by a train between St Albans and London
- 2 Body of man in his 40s found in Hemel Hempstead
- 3 Car and moped crash in St Albans
- 4 Police 'concerned for welfare' of missing Hertfordshire teenager
- 5 Married at First Sight: St Albans' Whitney wants to walk down the aisle
- 6 Call for hosepipe ban to protect River Ver
- 7 Fresh call for safer crossing on route into city centre
- 8 St Albans Striders brave the heat to tackle numerous races
- 9 Main footpath closed while CCOS South work underway
- 10 Could community banking hub open in Harpenden?
“As well as consolidating these age groups we are looking to also run U7 and U13 sides next year. It meant a lot to all the players to be recognised individually today and for those who took the main awards, well done.”
For further information about the Centurions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org / 07713472091.