British Army coming to Cents on Wednesday
- Credit: Archant
St Albans Centurions are taking on the British Army Rugby League Team on Wednesday evening to raise money for TroopAid.
Following the success of last year’s charity match, the Army requested a return game at their base in Aldershot but the Cents team couldn’t make the afternoon kick-off offered so the game returns to St Albans, 6.30pm start.
Cents chairman Brian Parker said: “It’s going to be another great game.The mayor of St Albans, Cllr Annie Brewster, enjoyed last year’s event so much that she intends to attended this match as well.
“Entrance to the game is free, but at half time we will pass along the crowd with collection buckets. We hope that people will come along and support their local rugby league club and the British Army.
“Of course, there will be food and drink available afterwards at our clubhouse at High Oaks.”
You may also want to watch:
TroopAid was founded in November 2006 by three ex-servicemen after visiting Selly Oak Hospital’s Alexandra Wing in Birmingham. This is the home of the Defence Medical Welfare Services, which is responsible for the welfare of all Armed Forces Personnel, male and female, who have been injured during the conflict in Afghanistan and elsewhere.
“They found that when injured troops return to the United Kingdom from the war zones they arrive back without their personal effects, kit or clothing, just what they are wearing. The objective of TroopAid is to support them for their first few days of recuperation by providing the basic essentials that they need upon arrival at hospital.
- 1 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 2 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 3 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 4 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
- 5 Harpenden retailers call on county to end town centre road closures
- 6 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 7 Freedom Day: More than half of Herts residents welcome delay to lockdown easing
- 8 It's showtime at Rothamsted with West End stars performing in 'Musicals at the Manor'
- 9 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 10 George Street traders call for permanent pedestrianisation as street closure debate continues
• The Cents’ league game on Saturday was cancelled as Newham Dockers could not field a team, resulting in a 24-0 win for St Albans.