British Army coming to Cents on Wednesday
- Credit: Archant
St Albans Centurions are taking on the British Army Rugby League Team on Wednesday evening to raise money for TroopAid.
Following the success of last year’s charity match, the Army requested a return game at their base in Aldershot but the Cents team couldn’t make the afternoon kick-off offered so the game returns to St Albans, 6.30pm start.
Cents chairman Brian Parker said: “It’s going to be another great game.The mayor of St Albans, Cllr Annie Brewster, enjoyed last year’s event so much that she intends to attended this match as well.
“Entrance to the game is free, but at half time we will pass along the crowd with collection buckets. We hope that people will come along and support their local rugby league club and the British Army.
“Of course, there will be food and drink available afterwards at our clubhouse at High Oaks.”
TroopAid was founded in November 2006 by three ex-servicemen after visiting Selly Oak Hospital’s Alexandra Wing in Birmingham. This is the home of the Defence Medical Welfare Services, which is responsible for the welfare of all Armed Forces Personnel, male and female, who have been injured during the conflict in Afghanistan and elsewhere.
“They found that when injured troops return to the United Kingdom from the war zones they arrive back without their personal effects, kit or clothing, just what they are wearing. The objective of TroopAid is to support them for their first few days of recuperation by providing the basic essentials that they need upon arrival at hospital.
- 1 Dog owner avoids jail after hitting pet so hard that wooden pole snaps
- 2 Recap: Lorry catches fire on M25 in Hertfordshire
- 3 St Albans Post Office branch re-opening after three years
- 4 Man arrested following alleged St Albans M&S theft
- 5 Woman in her 70s victim of St Albans 'distraction theft'
- 6 Local NHS111 service provider to handle minor injuries at St Albans City Hospital
- 7 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 8 Cool off at London Colney's new Watersplash
- 9 Recap: Rail firm cancels trains due to Herts 'operational issue'
- 10 Woodland access saved by Chiswell Green campaigner
• The Cents’ league game on Saturday was cancelled as Newham Dockers could not field a team, resulting in a 24-0 win for St Albans.