Brian Lara to face six Harpenden players at Lord’s bicentenary
- Credit: Archant
Harpenden have six players in the Hertfordshire squad set to face Brian Lara and company in the Lord’s bicentenary on Sunday.
Ben Frazer, Will Jones, Nick Lamb, James Latham, Alex Spencer and Simon White will go against the great West Indian batsman who holds the world record for both the highest Test score of 400 and first-class score of 501.
While Lara, who scored 11,953 Test runs at an average of 52.88 in a 131-Test career, will be the main attraction, he will be joined by a star-studded MCC side that includes former South Africa batsman Dale Benkenstein, former England left-arm spinner Min Patel and former Hertfordshire all-rounder Aaron Laraman.
“Selection has been difficult, but we stated at the beginning we would pick the best squad for the day and treat the match like a Unicorns Trophy match,” said Iain Fletcher, the Hertfordshire director of cricket.
This is a recreation of the very first game at Lord’s on June 22, 1814 and launches a Sumer of celebrations at the ground. Lara will play in a big game at the ground on Saturday July 5 when two star-studded teams led by Shane Warne and Sachin Tendulkar will play a 50-over MCC v Rest of the World game.
You may also want to watch:
Sunday’s game starts at 2pm, with the gates opening at noon. There are a host of festivities and activities to enjoy. Entry is £10 for adults and £5 for under 16s, and 500 tickets for the hallowed an historic pavilion will be available on the day.
There is also a rare chance to picnic and watch the game on the outfield in front of the grand stand.
- 1 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 2 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 3 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order
- 4 Harpenden's Olympic hero watches daughter win gold
- 5 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 6 Green light given to new hospital project
- 7 Why has it taken so long for Young's to open St Albans pub?
- 8 Bee inspired by new display at St Albans restaurant
- 9 When Nicole Kidman played the Russian mail order bride of a St Albans bank clerk
- 10 Area Guide: The popular Highfield area of St Albans
Nesan Jeyaratnam (North Mymms, captain)
Eddie Ballard (Bishop’s Stortford)
Ben Frazer (Harpenden)
Simon Greenall (Welwyn Garden City, w/k)
Will Jones (Harpenden)
Nick Lamb (Harpenden)
James Latham (Harpenden)
George Scott (Potters Bar)
Tanveer Sikander (Blackheath)
Jamie Southgate (Welwyn Garden City, v/capt)
Alex Spencer (Harpenden)
Kabir Toor (Radlett)
Simon White (Harpenden)