Brave defensive performance by Saints brings plenty of plaudits
- Credit: Archant
Beckenham Ladies gained a measure of revenge over Old Albanian Saints after a 15-5 success.
Saints had triumphed at Woollams earlier in the season and knew the hosts would be up for the contest.
But early pressure by OAs resulted in a score for Claire McKenna, using her electric pace and agile footwork to beat three cover defenders.
Beckenham hit straight back after some indecision from Saints close to their own line.
The home side continued to ask questions of the visiting defence, choosing to attack the narrow side more often than not.
However, OA’s stood firm with bruising hits coming from backs and forwards alike.
The second half saw Saints gain good field position but they were unable to come away with any points.
- 1 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 2 Inquest jury to hear 999 call made as child choked at Radlett nursery
- 3 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 4 Comment: Mixed emotions as building work begins
- 5 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 6 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 7 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 8 The Zombies postpone forthcoming Harpenden tour dates to 2023
- 9 Council confirms which Local Plan sites will be dropped
- 10 History in the making as Colney Heath Ladies reach county cup final for first time
And they were left to rue those missed chances when the hosts pounced on a turnover close to the Albanian line to take the lead.
The final try was scored late on after an immense defensive effort by Saints, lasting 7 minutes, was eventually breached down the blindside.
While they left with the disappointment of the loss, Saints can be proud of another good performance. Mica Gooding picked up the forward-of-the-match award with Nicky Cameron shining in the backs.
Next up for Saints is a game against Newbury on February 14.