Brave defensive performance by Saints brings plenty of plaudits
- Credit: Archant
Beckenham Ladies gained a measure of revenge over Old Albanian Saints after a 15-5 success.
Saints had triumphed at Woollams earlier in the season and knew the hosts would be up for the contest.
But early pressure by OAs resulted in a score for Claire McKenna, using her electric pace and agile footwork to beat three cover defenders.
Beckenham hit straight back after some indecision from Saints close to their own line.
The home side continued to ask questions of the visiting defence, choosing to attack the narrow side more often than not.
You may also want to watch:
However, OA’s stood firm with bruising hits coming from backs and forwards alike.
The second half saw Saints gain good field position but they were unable to come away with any points.
- 1 All you need to know about St Albans Cathedral's Alban Pilgrimage this year
- 2 Property Spotlight: A penthouse apartment at St Albans' Gabriel Square
- 3 Village's first scarecrow trail raises £700 for school
- 4 Schoolgirl donates hair to Little Princess Trust
- 5 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 6 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 7 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 8 Have your say on St Stephen Neighbourhood Plan
- 9 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 10 June 21: Will Step 4 lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
And they were left to rue those missed chances when the hosts pounced on a turnover close to the Albanian line to take the lead.
The final try was scored late on after an immense defensive effort by Saints, lasting 7 minutes, was eventually breached down the blindside.
While they left with the disappointment of the loss, Saints can be proud of another good performance. Mica Gooding picked up the forward-of-the-match award with Nicky Cameron shining in the backs.
Next up for Saints is a game against Newbury on February 14.