Brave defensive performance by Saints brings plenty of plaudits
- Credit: Archant
Beckenham Ladies gained a measure of revenge over Old Albanian Saints after a 15-5 success.
Saints had triumphed at Woollams earlier in the season and knew the hosts would be up for the contest.
But early pressure by OAs resulted in a score for Claire McKenna, using her electric pace and agile footwork to beat three cover defenders.
Beckenham hit straight back after some indecision from Saints close to their own line.
The home side continued to ask questions of the visiting defence, choosing to attack the narrow side more often than not.
You may also want to watch:
However, OA’s stood firm with bruising hits coming from backs and forwards alike.
The second half saw Saints gain good field position but they were unable to come away with any points.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 4 Former Coventry City junior Joe Newton has eyes on a return to the professional game
- 5 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 6 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 7 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 8 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 9 Nightmare return for Joe Newton as own-goal gives St Albans City victory over Havant
- 10 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
And they were left to rue those missed chances when the hosts pounced on a turnover close to the Albanian line to take the lead.
The final try was scored late on after an immense defensive effort by Saints, lasting 7 minutes, was eventually breached down the blindside.
While they left with the disappointment of the loss, Saints can be proud of another good performance. Mica Gooding picked up the forward-of-the-match award with Nicky Cameron shining in the backs.
Next up for Saints is a game against Newbury on February 14.