Brave Blueboys out of the FA Cup
FA Cup Second Qualifying Round replay Aveley 4 London Colney 2 LONDON Colney were just 26 minutes away from securing a Third Qualifying Round tie at Zamaretto Midlands side Burnham, but three late goals from the home side ensured it was they that progres
FA Cup Second Qualifying Round replay
Aveley 4 London Colney 2
LONDON Colney were just 26 minutes away from securing a Third Qualifying Round tie at Zamaretto Midlands side Burnham, but three late goals from the home side ensured it was they that progressed and with it ending the Blueboys FA Cup dreams for another year.
It was looking a lot rosier for the Blueboys at half time as they sat in the changing rooms with a 2-0 lead to their name courtesy of goals from Frankie Jowle and David Parkinson.
You may also want to watch:
However the home side, who play their football three levels higher than the Blueboys, rallied after the break hitting four unanswered second half goals.
Parkinson fired in an early tester that home stopper Jamie Lunan easily held while at the other end Junior Dadson saw his low shot hacked off the line by Kenny Hull.
- 1 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 2 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 3 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 4 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
- 5 Harpenden retailers call on county to end town centre road closures
- 6 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 7 Freedom Day: More than half of Herts residents welcome delay to lockdown easing
- 8 It's showtime at Rothamsted with West End stars performing in 'Musicals at the Manor'
- 9 Freedom Day delay is a financial blow to local businesses
- 10 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
Colney took the lead in the 39th minute. Parkinson was fouled just outside the area and the impressive Jowle stepped up to curl the free kick into the top corner.
Two minutes later the Blueboys doubled their lead as Parkinson pounced on a defensive error before blasting the ball past the goalkeeper.
The home side began the second half in the ascendancy and pulled a goal back just before the hour mark.
Former Bishop's Stortford man Piers Wixon laid the ball off to Dadson who advanced before firing the ball into the roof of the net.
The away side looked like holding out but with 26 minutes remaining Aveley drew level. Matt Johnson's pass found Sam Lechmere who steadied himself before placing his shot through a sea of legs and into the back of the net.
Buoyed by their comeback, the home side took the lead for the first time with just six minutes remaining. Mitch Hahn picked up a loose ball on the right hand side and his cross found Sherwin Stanley who tucked the ball away and the hosts made sure there was no way back for the Blueboys when Ian Luck added a fourth in injury time.