Brave Blueboys out of the FA Cup
FA Cup Second Qualifying Round replay Aveley 4 London Colney 2 LONDON Colney were just 26 minutes away from securing a Third Qualifying Round tie at Zamaretto Midlands side Burnham, but three late goals from the home side ensured it was they that progres
FA Cup Second Qualifying Round replay
Aveley 4 London Colney 2
LONDON Colney were just 26 minutes away from securing a Third Qualifying Round tie at Zamaretto Midlands side Burnham, but three late goals from the home side ensured it was they that progressed and with it ending the Blueboys FA Cup dreams for another year.
It was looking a lot rosier for the Blueboys at half time as they sat in the changing rooms with a 2-0 lead to their name courtesy of goals from Frankie Jowle and David Parkinson.
However the home side, who play their football three levels higher than the Blueboys, rallied after the break hitting four unanswered second half goals.
Parkinson fired in an early tester that home stopper Jamie Lunan easily held while at the other end Junior Dadson saw his low shot hacked off the line by Kenny Hull.
- 1 Man stabbed in St Albans
- 2 Area Guide: The historic St Michael's village area of St Albans
- 3 Aldi prioritises St Albans for new store
- 4 WATCH: Delivery driver caught fly-tipping in rural area
- 5 St Albans paedophile jailed for trying to arrange online abuse
- 6 St Albans woman defies odds to become oldest with Rett Syndrome
- 7 Major architectural firm moves into St Albans
- 8 Sentence increase for St Albans theatre stalwart jailed for paedophilia
- 9 Daughter taking the plunge in mum's memory
- 10 St Albans is one of UK's worst locations for hay fever
Colney took the lead in the 39th minute. Parkinson was fouled just outside the area and the impressive Jowle stepped up to curl the free kick into the top corner.
Two minutes later the Blueboys doubled their lead as Parkinson pounced on a defensive error before blasting the ball past the goalkeeper.
The home side began the second half in the ascendancy and pulled a goal back just before the hour mark.
Former Bishop's Stortford man Piers Wixon laid the ball off to Dadson who advanced before firing the ball into the roof of the net.
The away side looked like holding out but with 26 minutes remaining Aveley drew level. Matt Johnson's pass found Sam Lechmere who steadied himself before placing his shot through a sea of legs and into the back of the net.
Buoyed by their comeback, the home side took the lead for the first time with just six minutes remaining. Mitch Hahn picked up a loose ball on the right hand side and his cross found Sherwin Stanley who tucked the ball away and the hosts made sure there was no way back for the Blueboys when Ian Luck added a fourth in injury time.